Which Tyres are best?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried Hancook tyres? they have been recommended to me by a tyre fitter here on site and he used to live in the Pilbara. He said they have got a lot better in recent years and are a good mid priced tyre.

I have 265/75/16 hankook dynapro rf10 all terrains on my d40 atm and to be honest I think they are the best all terrain tyre I have had especially as far as road use goes. They are so quiet it is great. They have a nice little side bighter design and absolutely heaps of tread depth. 10 Ply rating on the LT in this size.
Almost 10k on mine now and they are looking great. They seem to be a big tyre to which is good I hate paying for a certain size tyre and getting one that is considerably smaller than quoted.

I have not had a chance to take em seriously offroad other than beach but they are an all terrain so this was not my main concern.

I can certainly recommend em if you are after a top road tyre that is for sure, and from tests online I am confident they are a great offroad tyre too.
I read a lot of good things about em especially from the yanks as they have had em for longer. Couple of blokes I know have the dynapro muds with glowing recommendations too.

I have a contact for em too on the sunshine coast if you are in this area

I just typed in Hankook dynapro rf10 in google and found these articles without trying hard
http://www.motortrend.com/features/112_0807_hankook_dynapro_rf10/index.html
http://www.motortrend.com/features/112_0807_hankook_dynapro_rf10/index.html

Last edited:
Good looking tyre the Hankook's, they get some pretty good wraps on the USA forums. Have to get some new rubber in a month or so and have narrowed it down to the Hankook's @$371, Goodyear Duratrac @$350 or a newish one on the market Kelly TSR @$320 in 265/75/16 Kalgoorlie prices, bit hard to shop around to much here LOL. They are all pretty good looking tyres and any of them would suit my purpose, the Kellys look very similar to the MT MTZ and my only concern with them would be road noise. Anyone got any feedback on the Kelly's???
Decisions decisions.

Cheers John

Has anyone tried Hancook tyres? they have been recommended to me by a tyre fitter here on site and he used to live in the Pilbara. He said they have got a lot better in recent years and are a good mid priced tyre.

I will clarify the following by saying they are not an off-road tyre, but yes - I do currently own a set of Hankook tyres - Ventus ST on my Benz ML - that's an SUV style vehicle and I've taken this car (and these tyres) up some pretty interesting trails and locations in search of the illusive trout without a problem.

I'm am pretty fussy when it comes to my Merc - it's a darn expensive car and I wanted the best for my family as it's my wife's faily driver. But when I was offered a money back guarantee if I wasn't happy, I took the chance. The tyres are still on there 2 years later and I am happy.

Road noise is good for a tyre of this size (255/50R19). Dry and wet weather grip is impeccable, but then in the Wheels magazine Active Safety Program tests, the ML outbraked (for example) the Mazda 6 which was being used as a baseline, so it's a beast when it comes to outright grip anyway.

Wear patterns are even and doing well. After roughly 40.000km they are looking to be approx 1/2 to maybe 2/3 through what I would call their useful life. My idea of useful life is to get rid of them WELL before they are down to to legal tread depth because safety comes first.

Based on that experience, I will strongly consider Hankook mud pattern tyres for my D40 when it is due for is next set of boots.

Hi Guys

I have just put a set of bfg t/a on my navara.The old tyres where bridgestone 694lt.I got about 65000 km from them.They are a good tyre but i went for the bfg's as they only about $10 dearer than the bridgestones.

Shane

Anyone here running the Bridgestone Desert Dueler 604V's ? Thinking either them or the BFG ats.
I got a great price on the bridgestones and wanting some feedback before i buy. cheers

604V

best tyres for allround are the bfg m/t km2 awesome on loose gravel and rock excellent in the mud and quiet on the road i got 265/75/16 fits nicley

Have dobbinsons kit on my d21 and they are excellent, hardly any body roll and that's with a 3 inch lift and 265/75/R16 Mickey t mtz.

had a nail through one of my stock tyres at only a week old so i used it as excuse to go and change the whole lot over for some BFG at's in 265/75/r16. i've had them before on my patrol and they drive great and go the distance even if they are a little bit pricey.
they look good on the navara too - white writing out - and the size seems just right. no scraping at all.

I fitted Mickey Thompson ATZ in 245/65/17 on the ST-X. Didnt end up having much choice as BFG's in 255/65/17 were out of stock, and I wont ever fit cooper ST's again after the way they disintegrated on my Patrol...

UncySpam you should have ordered some from the US
I run the 265/70/R17 BFG AT's on mine. Best I can do around town is $350 a corner
From the US $220 a tyre and I think one of the guys at work just paid $280 in shipping from the US to Sydney. 10 days delivery from Tirerack I think he said .
$1160 from the US vs $1400 here
With our dollar so strong its very tempting thats for sure.

I'm in a loan car at the moment, my D40 is in for a small electrical adjustment to the auxiliary power and having its pollen filters fitted.

The loaner is a D22 STR 2.5 litre CR turbo diesel manual. It's fitted with Bridgestone Desert Duellers.

I will never, ever, and shoot me if I do, buy these tyres for my car. It's raining lightly in Newcastle today and this thing slides all over the place. Yuck, yuck, and I can't wait to take it back - but only because of the tyres.

I notice that the thing has gobs of torque at idle. Gently let out the clutch without touching the accelerator and she rolls happily until you have let the clutch fully out.

The scary thing was trying to accelerate on wet road, and in third gear, the tail end let go and drifted into the lane beside me. I wasn't even flat out on the accelerator!

I'm back in my car now, Continentals on and drive it a little harder than I drove the D22 - didn't lose grip once.

It's possible that the D22's Duellers were just mistreated. Doesn't matter, I've decided that they aren't the tyre for me.

Never ever would I be someone who'd cast aspersions on our fellow (non hair dryer and minus other much needed accessories) Navara owners; but I wonder if you had a premonition given your current signature. Just A thought :wink:

Never ever would I be someone who'd cast aspersions on our fellow (non hair dryer and minus other much needed accessories) Navara owners; but I wonder if you had a premonition given your current signature. Just A thought :wink:

Haha! Yeah sorry my balls aren't crystal, so there's no tellin' what will happen and if they were I wouldn't admit it or they'd ban me from buying lotto tickets!

Krankin and Dave are jointly responsible for my current sig. I figured if Krankin can quote you, then I can quote Dave.

That's wonderfully circular now, isn't it?

UncySpam you should have ordered some from the US
I run the 265/70/R17 BFG AT's on mine. Best I can do around town is $350 a corner
From the US $220 a tyre and I think one of the guys at work just paid $280 in shipping from the US to Sydney. 10 days delivery from Tirerack I think he said .
$1160 from the US vs $1400 here
With our dollar so strong its very tempting thats for sure.

265/70/17 is illegal without engineering...

I should have said 245/70/17 not 245/65/17 btw

Also, I didnt pay directly for the tyres, they were a swap over from the standard ones... cost about $900 to replace all 5, which I figure is a pretty good deal :D Oh, and I couldnt wait either... needed em swapped over with a two day max turnaround due to my impatience and awesome levels of preparedness :D

Haha! Yeah sorry my balls aren't crystal, so there's no tellin' what will happen and if they were I wouldn't admit it or they'd ban me from buying lotto tickets!

Krankin and Dave are jointly responsible for my current sig. I figured if Krankin can quote you, then I can quote Dave.

That's wonderfully circular now, isn't it?

Tears in eyes!! :lol:

Actually the 265/70/R17s are legal in the ACT .They are actually smaller in dia than the 265/75/R16 that are also legal. However these are the max we can run. 17" wheels are an option on the 2007 D40 so its legal to go to 17" wheels and the tyres just scrape in with the new rules n regs . I had to actually get the truck rego inspected when I bought it and it came with the 265/75/R16 BFG AT's from the dealership and was inspected with those tyres on the truck.

nice that you got in before the rules changed...

The rules in the ACT (and most of the rest of the country I believe) are now maximum rolling diameter increase of 15mm max from standard size without engineering. That means 265/70R17 are no longer legal.

Latest posts

Back