Which Snorkel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which snorkel are you running?

• Total voters

Tiburn

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking at getting a snorkel fitted and though it would be good to see others thoughts. Tossing up between Airtec and Safari and about the same price. Looking for the best option really.

I will try and add a poll, apologies if this is somewhere else but I could not find it.

Thanks

Last edited:
i got the safari
i like the safari asu can add a centrifugal filter later if u want

it seems the ironman is about a exact copy - cant say what the material is like

the safari comes with extremely good fitting instructions
u r gonna need a 12 ratchet spanner

i installed my own and will do it again to save the $$$ -i also know it is a good install all holes were primed and painted , all joints selastiked
i f u r in perth i could give u a hand installing

I went with the safari myself. Just thought with all the years of development they would know a thing or too. I paid 460 for mine from opposite lock and fitted it myself. The 12mm ratchet spanner would make it easier but not needed as I did mine without it. Hope this helps
Kyle

I made the mistake of buying an air flow.
Please don't make the same mistake.

Double that! I made the same mistake - although as I have a petrol, I didn't really have much choice. It was the only one I could find that worked with a Petrol (or atleast was advertised as so)

got a safari one on my nav happy with it to they look good. got the 4by shop to do mine cos i didnt have time to do it myself

I had my Airtec fitted by the dealer pre-delivery. I liked the closer-fitting line, the Safari's intake stood out like a knuckle and I wasn't too hip on that look (still doesn't appeal to me).

Only problem is I don't think the snorkel is properly sealed. I'm going to have to start taking things apart and adding some sikaflex, I think.

TJM all the way.
Increase in performance, and the intake doesnt poke out like the rest.

i had the Nissan one Fitted from new, but Nissan dont seal them so i had to take out the air box and pull it a part and sikaflex it all together, and seal it to the snorkel. modern day 4x4's dont have a water proof air box. it is now..

I have an airtec snorkel, fully sealed airbox and snorkel setup.

The downside is that the whole set up now resonates. 1500-1700rpm you get a noticeable resonance through the cabin when the car is under anything from light - heavy load. This was undetected until a sealed to the airbox and all the joins in the snorkel. Annoying yes, not sure what i can do about it....

D40 Snorkel

I made the mistake of going genuine (Airtec style), never again though. As someone mentioned, Nissan don't seal them and there isn't enough sikaflex around to seal an oval hose to a round one.

I'm looking at removing it and installing a Safari snorkel as they guarantee it is sealed.

Does someone have the install instructions for the Safari they could email/ post here. I can then have a read and decide if I will do it myself or not.

Thanks

I chose the Safari it sticks out but you can turn the head around so you dont catch bugs in ya airfilter. Its slightly louder but my radio is louder again.
But the advantage I have gone from cleaning my filter every fortnight to once a month.

Also its not the snorkel that leaks well its not on mine there is some random water catchment slash induction noise restrictor thing that looks like an S bend at the front most of the box it then has a 2 piece pipe that exits and re enters the air box and that is the culprit for water ingress in the box.
I had my uni filter a kitchen sponge a handfull of times beofre I realised what was going on. and filled it up with sikaflex.
I plan on finding a new airbox for the beast as the airbox is really restrictive with that air silencer majiggy.

All that s bend crap is gone from mine as well.When i fitted mine i took the airbox outside and held it up towards the sun.Lots of nooks and crannies letting light through so they all got sikaflex.Also sikaflexed around the mounting bolt and grommet inside the airbox.

All that s bend crap is gone from mine as well.When i fitted mine i took the airbox outside and held it up towards the sun.Lots of nooks and crannies letting light through so they all got sikaflex.Also sikaflexed around the mounting bolt and grommet inside the airbox.

when you say gone have you cut it out? or just filled it up with sikaflex?

Does someone have the install instructions for the Safari they could email/ post here. I can then have a read and decide if I will do it myself or not.

Thanks

Bump

Please did someone keep them and would be able to scan them in.

I don't have them but have installed the snorkle myself and it is not too bad. I am in the industry though and have done heaps. It all depends if you are comfortable drilling holes in your guard and one big hole inparticular. The rest is pretty straight forward but it does involve dropping the inner guard plastic out of the way and a bit of mucking around.

Not sure what they charge for fitting these days but if you are not confident with this sort of stuff it may be worth it.

Where abouts are you located

I got a cheapy Safari copy off Ebay for $230 + $30 for a 105mm holesaw. It came with shonky instructions but they worked a treat. All installed myself.

The material is fine. I've had it on now for about a year and have done a couple of trips without any issues.

Buying the cheapy and fitting myself saved me $500 which i spent on something else for the car.

Latest posts

Back