Urgent advice needed please

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottybobcat

2014 muster sponsor
Reaction score
Guys in Victoria or Melbourne I need to know if any of you know a really good family law/divorce lawyer.My wife has turned nasty and now sneaking things out of the house.
Can anyone recomend someone to me please.
She is going to try and take me to the cleaners when she hasnt put a cent towards the house.She has already put a caviet on the house.

Sorry to hear that mate.

I've heard Pearsons Barristers & Solicitors recommended as a good firm for family law, half my family used them.

794 Pascoe Vale Rd
Glenroy
9306 0044

Guys in Victoria or Melbourne I need to know if any of you know a really good family law/divorce lawyer.My wife has turned nasty and now sneaking things out of the house.
She is going to try and take me to the cleaners when she hasnt put a cent towards the house.She has already put a caviet on the house.

i will check with my daughter she works for a solicitors firm in pakenham..

If she is no longer living there change the locks.If thats not an option then start moving your stuff to your own storage place.At the end of the day under law she is entitled to half anyway I think. Take a camera and walk around the house and photograph everything . If things walk then report them stolen as they have been removed from your house without your permission.
My ex did the same thing as in taking stuff. I asked her for a complete list of everything that she took and told her straight out that anything else would be reported as stolen and that the cops would be checking her and her friends places first.
The list was concise and complete and it means you can adjust your insurance correctly

Scott ... i have someone to refer you too. I will call with the information

Shit mate. Not good, was only thinking yesterday I gotta ring you.

All the best mate.

Yeah get a list of everything there, plenty photos too. Get anything you don't want her getting out of the house.
I've got a mate going through the same shit, he's left some of his very exxy fishing gear at my joint

+1 on;
a) change the locks
b) photographing everything in detail and compile a list
c) hope you have everything marked(that you want to keep) and
d) moving the good stuff out(but not to a mate who tells where it is) I'm not sure if lock up storage is that bad, but tell No-one about it.

e)advising all "cost centres" that she has moved out(close access to bank accts, CC's, any plastic,etc).

Also, change names on bills and lock up all the old ones.
RTS all mail addressed to her with no longer at this address and advise the company of her new one. Actually, it might be better to overwrite her new address on any printed matter received.
Why? Your name on a bill at the address is accepted by some lock smiths as valid id to force entry to change the locks.

Good luck.

PS from what I've seen, some nasty separations are permanent hostilities(she stll hunts him inter-state for some reason).

The main thing I forgot to mention was to find out legally where you stand .
From my own situation
She is still responsible to pay half of all the joint bills even though she no longer lives there. Her name on the contract is still legally binding.
If your name appears alone on any bills like say the finance for her car then no matter who has the name on the rego then the car is still yours so to speak. Even If she is paying for the car then you legally can ring the finance company and have the car repossessed.You can however tell her she has to refinance the car in her own name but you cant change names on contracts like that without paying it out
Cancell all cards that are in joint names .Change all pin codes and passwords. Change the utility bills into your name only.
Your not being nasty or anything like that your covering your own ass.Dont just pull the rug financially from under her but close all joint accounts and tell her that due to the situation you have had to close the accounts.She is not only able to claim your assets as half hers but she is also going to have to pay half the bills as well.
Check the bank statements and see if she has been bleeding off money for herself.
She may get really nasty but dont let her see she is getting under your skin . Just stay polite and keep any answers really short and to the point. Do not let yourself start to play her nasty games.
If she is silly enough to try to get a solicitor to do all her dirty work then you pretty much have to get representation to fight fire with fire. Just be aware that its exxy to do that. The guy I spoke with said it will run 15K each and upwards to have legal eagles involved. If at all possible you can do it without them it drops the costs in a huge way.You still have to get stuff looked at and verified by solicitors but thats like 2k in total .
As to a financial settlement you can avoid it for a while. She legally can not force you to start anything for at least 12 months and then you can drag it out maybe another year after that
All the above is what I have been told by a solicitor in the ACT . Make sure you find out exactly what the deal is where you are and above all else cover your ass and dont try to hide finances.
Above all else just remember your not alone there are a lot of us in the same position.Dont rush into anything and read everything closely
Good luck Scotty

Thanks mate.I am speaking with solicitors today.I have been very good with keeping my integrity and my feelings.I have not gotten angry once unlike her that has made the decisions.Her main objective is to get half of everything and just keeps talking about money that we dont have.My main concern is trying to keep the house to keep our little girl grounded and to feel safe.it shits me when she has not put a cent into it and I paid for her to do a course to start her own business and paid for the furniture for her business so she can support us now that I cant work and now she has her business up and running so is she.I have looked after her and supported her for 10 years and she cant do the same for me.Shows her true colours I guess.I have gone from being devestated and greiving to being very focused to get the best end result for my daughter and I

I'd say its a good move getting the solicitor involved from the outset, especially seeing as you have a little one involved. I'm sure you will come out of it all ok, just probably doesn't feel that way right now

If you keep your daughter it will be more a 60:40 split your way too, so dont sttle for half if you have your daughter more than her.

Oh she is now the bread winner well that means you can hit her up for child support etc and if the business is in her name then you can take her for half of that .At the end of the day your doing the right thing keeping the house your your young one. I am doing the same as its where my kids grew up.
if she tries to say her business isnt making any money yeah right. She owes you for all the brass you put in and if stuff is in your name then just either take it back or close it down. You have to cover your ass and then some.
Another thing to think of is that now your not able to work you will be entitled to Legal Aid
The best thing is ask your solicitor what you need to do right now to stop her taking anything more from you.
Many women have got some strange ideas on what they are able to get away with from watching American shows. Our laws are different so dont beleive anything she babbles and go by what your solicitor tells you.
I know its going to be a long hard haul Scotty , I have been going through this for 18 months so far andno end in site.I have my kids home stilland paying the bills so I reckon am doing ok.What ever you do try not to use the kids as territory. I am lucky my ex isnt being a bitch. I have mates who's ex's are telling the kids all sorts of crap. At the end of the day just be open honest and tell the kids as much as they will be able to understand as to what is happening. Dont quiz them as to whats Mummy doing etc. Dont go there cos i will bet she will be doing that and agaian you dont need to be playing her childish games.
She and all she deals with will be huge members of the Man Haters of the World club so be ready for some dirty tactics.

Scotty,im sure your solicitor has told you allready that its not only assets that get split but if you have any loans/debts she is also held accountable for half of that also..
keep your chin up...no woman in the world is irriplaceable...

Thanks guys.The shit I have been through in the last 2 years I cant believe I have been strong enough to deal with it all and its still going.Hopefully we can sort it out amicably and its a win win for both of us but she can be a spitefull bitch.her attitude will end with us getting nothing.

Hi Scotty
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
One bit of extra advice is to keep a diary of every conversation, phone call and correspondence.

Alan

Latest posts

Back