turbo went bang!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tufnav

Reaction score
You wouldn't believe it but just got the nav running nice with the chip n everything installed. Couldn't be happier until the other day.... on the way to work as I took off, bang! Like a car backfire... it was gutless and with my work just up the road I decided to drive very lightly to work before I checked it out. pulled the intake ducts off and the turbo neck and inspected. I was like oh shit! The turbine wheel wasn't just broken it had exploded. Couldn't believe it.

Guna cost me 1100 for an upgraded rebuild. They apparently fit a billet turbo wheel and supply all baskets etc. So I'm waiting to get that back to fit hopefully today or tommorow.

I checked the intercooler for metal shards n luckily enough nothing got past turbo neck. The navs got 180000ks on the clock so I suppose the turbo died of age.

Last edited:
Its sux that the turbo went.

....but seems that you have got it chipped anyway why dont you go an aftermarket bigger turbo, it will save you a few dollars and give you more power.

Sounds like the IC saved you a massive repair bill, especially after you decided to keep on driving it!

+1 on the intercooler saving the day. Very fortunate to have that there! It's a lesson for everyone with a turbocharged vehicle and NO intercooler!

Just curious - do you let the turbo cool after a hard drive, or do you just shut the engine down?

Always let it cool down mate. Got a timer on the nav to.

To upgrade definitely doesn't save ya! You can go roller water cooled turbo but at a huge expense 2500plus just for turbo. Would hammer with a roller bearing turbo I reckon.

All back together now, fitted a rebuilt turbo with upgraded billet compressor wheel.
Did cost a few extra pennies but worth the extra strength I reckon.

Latest posts

Back