Turbo to Exhaust Manifold Gasket Issue. BEWARE D40 OWNERS!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beergutz

Reaction score
Fella's,

The other week I posted about having a cracked EGR pipe. Well on Friday I was driving down Sydney and the usual air leak screech which sounded like a kettle boiling all of a sudden turned into a large air gushing sound and I lost all power when foot to the floor. On further inspection I eventually found that the nuts on all 4 studs for the turbo to exhaust manifold were all wound back up the threads of the studs and I had a major exhaust leak under the bonnet. This is located behind the turbo and is under the silver heat shield guard that you have to remove to see it. I tightened it the best I could and even though the gasket had blown out I managed to get back to Newcastle ok!
I took it straight back to Nissan and explained to the mechanic that they had only just serviced it and diagnosed it with a leaking EGR pipe. I told them I wasn't very happy as they should have picked up this problem. He responded that it is a known problem with D40 Navara's as due to the excessive heat generated by the turbo that the nuts expand and vibrate loose and work their way back up the thread. So maybe it would be worth while to remove the heat shield and inspect the nuts on the manifold.
I asked him for part numbers for the gasket as I thought it would be a half hour job to replace. Nissan told me they would need the truck all day to do it and that it takes about 8 hrs labour @ $100 an hour as they have to remove the turbo to access. Told them to stick it and bought the gaskets myself and had my mechanic do it. It took him 3 hrs to complete, I gave him a hand and it's a very fiddly shitty job. I'll try and post some pictures.
Might be worth a quick check under your bonnet to check the nuts haven't worked loose and save yourselves some serious dollars to have replaced. Has anyone else had this issue? I did a search and couldn't find anything.

8 hours to remove the turbo. WTF.

I reckon I could do one on the ZD30 in under 2 hours.

$100.00 an hour is cheap? I think they were telling jokes. Their minimum labour rate would be $120.00
And that's only for capped price services.

ZD no more than 2.5 removed and replaced. Only issue with these is the dump bolts.

YD it says removed and replaced 3.5.

(As with all turbo removals there is a miscellaneous charge of about $80.00 incase any manifold studs snap) this charge is removed of removal goes smooth.

I had the same thing happen with the bolts coming loose, only it was my "06" D22 ZD30.

Will have to keep my eye on the D40 then too I guess.

Ah no worries. I had my turbo off around that time to try and fit that other 1.

I really should get around to making that fit, a good mate is a boily after all. So should be easy for him to mod the exhaust.

mine has come loose on the maifold - head about a year apart,mine has a flatter manifold to later ones and was the one behind the turbo both times. checked all the rest both times and ok. tried to undo the egr nuts last time and wouldnt move,cut a spanner with a piece of pipe through the inner guard, didnt move, put a chain block on the pipe to the rafter and lifted the front off the ground, gave up then.

Back