Turbo noise.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr P

Reaction score
Hi all I’m new hear. My 2011 D40 is making a strange noise I think is from the turbo. I can’t hear any noise when driving only on wind up and even more so on wind down. It starts and drives fine, but I’m sure it’s not right. I have checked all the turbo hoses and can’t see anything not right?

remove the hose on end of turbo and 1stly see how much oils is in the pipe. you will have some but shouldnt be loads.
use your fingers to feel how much movement the intake blade has. there will be some but minimal. check your hoses havnt split and then check inter cooler hasnt split. its comon and you hear a whistling noise when excelerating.

remove the hose on end of turbo and 1stly see how much oils is in the pipe. you will have some but shouldnt be loads.
use your fingers to feel how much movement the intake blade has. there will be some but minimal. check your hoses havnt split and then check inter cooler hasnt split. its comon and you hear a whistling noise when excelerating.
Hi and thanks for the reply. I will have a look tomorrow.

Also wipe some of the oil in the intake pipework with a dark cloth. Look at the cloth, if you can see shiny speckles then that is a sign that the turbo bearings are wearing.

Also wipe some of the oil in the intake pipework with a dark cloth. Look at the cloth, if you can see shiny speckles then that is a sign that the turbo bearings are wearing.
Hi and thanks for the reply. I will check for that also.

check the rubber pipe from the turbo, to the intercooler for any splits, as it expands and contracts quite a bit depending on boost pressure!

check the rubber pipe from the turbo, to the intercooler for any splits, as it expands and contracts quite a bit depending on boost pressure!

@Mr P - I replaced this hose with the metal pipe you can find on ebay, it was a worthy mod. I definitely noticed a small improvement on acceleration as well.

Looks like this - hot Side Pipe Intercooler Hose For Nissan Navara D40 2.5L 4cyl 2006-2011 Turbo | eBay

Mine was ready to give up at any moment.

Look up 'Navara hot side' and a whole range pop up.

Also - if it is your turbo, don't be fooled by the $400 turbo's from ebay, they'll last 6 months max and won't ever work like the original. Look for a reputable replacement or have your old one re-furbished
Right I finally found out what it was. It was the front flexi exhaust joint where it was damaged I could hear the turbo whine as it slowed down or wound up. Part now replaced and the truck runs and sounds good.

I have the same problem and I definitely have a hole in the flex section of the exhaust. I had someone rev it while I was under there, it didn't sound like the noise was coming from the hole tho. It also doesn't particularly sound like it is coming from the turbo. Could you describe the noise a bit more? I got a new flex part on order but don't know when it might turn up!

I have the same problem and I definitely have a hole in the flex section of the exhaust. I had someone rev it while I was under there, it didn't sound like the noise was coming from the hole tho. It also doesn't particularly sound like it is coming from the turbo. Could you describe the noise a bit more? I got a new flex part on order but don't know when it might turn up!
it’s a difficult noise to describe. If I remember it was worse on deceleration. It’s like a whering sound. I was amazed that it all stopped once I changed the flexi pipe.

it’s a difficult noise to describe. If I remember it was worse on deceleration. It’s like a whering sound. I was amazed that it all stopped once I changed the flexi pipe.
This thread is making me check all my hoses etc, as sometimes I have to look around thinking there's an ambo coming from somewhere in the distance.

I changed the flex pipe but still got the noise, that said the join to the rest if the exhaust was leaking really bad too. I used some exhaust paste to connect it and seal it but it does seem like there is a clamp missing for the exhaust cos it shakes like hell at idle right on that join. I'm sure its gonna leak again soon.

Latest posts

Back