Transfer Case oil sparklies

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tappet

Reaction score
Changed the Transfer Case oil a couple of weeks ago. Noticed bronzey looking sparklies in the the oil. I changed the oil and have run around for a couple of weeks then drained it again. Nowhere near the same amount but a little bronzey looking sparklies in it. If I got the same amount out of a manual gearbox i would not be to concerned just put it down to the syncros wearing over time but out the transfer case does concern me.

Is this normal, am I being to paranoid about it?

The material in the oil is bronze looking and not shiny steel looking.

The only things I can think of that would leave bronze (coppery?) particles in it are the spacers and dust covers on the bearings. Everything else has to handle the tension of all of the horsepower and torque going through (and being magnified) so it can't be made of soft stuff like brass, bronze or copper. All that's left are the covers and spacers where loads aren't going to shred it the first time the driveline rotates. Maybe something in the shifter, the forks that move the 4WD pawls into place?

I doubt an inspection camera would help but it might be worth a try initially. It's certainly easier than removing it and cracking it open!

Ok thanks for the input Tony, thought my post was going to sink without trace:-(

An inspection camera. That might be worth a try. Hopefully it's something like you say, it could be copper material that I see. At least it doesn't look like case hardening material if that's any consolation.

What ever the case the current oil is not going to left in there for long.

Latest posts

Back