Towing mishap

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mashsam

Reaction score
Hello all just read the news in regard to the young bloke in Sydney who was hit on the head believed to be from a failed towing strap. The news reports the vehicle was bogged and was trying to be recovered by another 4x4.
A stark reminder to all, please take care when involved in any recovery situation.

Quote from the news:

The teenager is believed to have been sitting in the driver's seat of his vehicle when a piece of metal attached to the strap snapped back, smashed through the rear window and into the back of his head.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/flying-to...astlereagh-20150713-giaqlc.html#ixzz3fk9GRYmu

Sadly this is a common occurrence, generally the webbing can fatigue over time it's a good idea to replace snatch straps every 10 years even if they appear in good order. Thankfully that young fellow survived.

Sadly this is a common occurrence, generally the webbing can fatigue over time it's a good idea to replace snatch straps every 10 years even if they appear in good order. Thankfully that young fellow survived.
If it was indeed a piece of metal, it doesn't sound like the strap failed, but whatever they attached it to did. Very possibly a towball... if not the towball, it is possible a shackle failed, which wouldn't be a common occurence...
Probably should have read the story but oh well lol. Something doesn't sound right for the strap to apparently snap and a shackle go flying. Last time I checked, shackles were used to connect the strap to the car...

Last edited:
More than likely a towball Bods, I have seen a hitch receiver pin sheer and become a missile as well as plenty of broken straps, my guess is being a p plater with no experience he has used the ball.

may have also tried to join two straps together with a shackle, one strap breaks shackle goes flying

It was a MQ patrol so more than likely the front tow hook snapped. Broken many of them over the years. So much so I refuse to them. When my one snapped on my GQ, the rest of the hook went through my mates rear window and the strap caved in the back door of his patrol. Lesson learnt. Use a dampener.

From the way it reads, the driver of the mq is the one who got hit... the only way he could have been hit in the back of the head is if they were trying to snatch him out backwards...

Yeah he was getting snatched backwards something went through the back window and hit him in the head. Poor bloke

From the way it reads, the driver of the mq is the one who got hit... the only way he could have been hit in the back of the head is if they were trying to snatch him out backwards...

Yeah, I just saw the news, I have only heard bits and pieces on the radio throughout the day. Bad if it was a D shackle.

Latest posts

Back