Tow bars

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you will need to say at least where you are and preferable what brand the bar is. Nissan doesn't make their own, it will be a rebadged locally made one. so would need to know what country/state your in to know what bar you have had problems with.

Nissan Aus one's are made by Hayman Reese as far as I know.

No dramas with mine, its towed its fair share of weight and been used as a rear recovery point many a time.

Dave.

Curious that my dealer made a distinction between the "Factory" tow bar and the Hayman Reese, even describing the HR one as superior due to its extra mounting points.

Perhaps the "factory" tow hitch is a different model HR hitch, not designed for load levellers.

I have a dealer supplied HD tow bar, and it hangs so very low to the ground i always have problems when OFF ROAD.

I have not had any problems with towing my fibreglass boat (about 1.3t with trailer) nor any problems with the off-road camper trailer.

So, i dont have any problems towing (i think that is what your asking) - but its a pain in the 'rear-end' when i wanna go and do any sort of off-roading !

Tony everything is made to a price.

Look at the bullbars, ARB make the Nissan ones.

Dave.

Tow bar problems

Our bar is only attached via 3 bolts that screw up from underneath into chassis rail, however we've seen others with additional flange on the bar necessitating additional fixing with horizontal bolts going into nuts sweated to the inside side of the chassis rail. ie our bar is held on by 6 vertical bolts - others are secured by 6 vertical & 4 horizontal bolts giving a total of 10 securing bolts - Genuine Nissan towbar - but it seems that later models have the horizontal fixing as well. Our bar ripped the base of the chassis rail out because there was no side fixing bar fitted at time of purchase 3 yrs & 3 mths ago. BEWARE!!!

I was warned about that very issue because I told the dealer I wanted to use a load leveller. He explained that the standard hitch had fewer supports and could twist.

I had the HR documentation for the hitch I'd fitted in my Commodore around somewhere and thought it mentioned ensuring that your hitch is up to the task of taking a load leveller (there's a LOT of additional stress using one). If nobody told you about that before letting you put the leveller on, then you may have some recourse there?

Not sure what you mean by tally plate, but it does have a Nissan compliance plate showing batch no, part no, towing capacity & down load. We do have photos (of damaged part) but unavailable at the moment.

Our bar is only attached via 3 bolts that screw up from underneath into chassis rail, however we've seen others with additional flange on the bar necessitating additional fixing with horizontal bolts going into nuts sweated to the inside side of the chassis rail. ie our bar is held on by 6 vertical bolts - others are secured by 6 vertical & 4 horizontal bolts giving a total of 10 securing bolts - Genuine Nissan towbar - but it seems that later models have the horizontal fixing as well. Our bar ripped the base of the chassis rail out because there was no side fixing bar fitted at time of purchase 3 yrs & 3 mths ago. BEWARE!!!

what the load rating of the tow bar?

our 3 ton rated one is secured by 10 bolts, 6 horizontal and 4 vertical.
i wonder if the dealer cheaped out and fitted a low rated towbar.

We were travelling along a straight good road doing 80k's towing a caravan. Normal driving, nothing out of the ordinary.

what the load rating of the tow bar?

our 3 ton rated one is secured by 10 bolts, 6 horizontal and 4 vertical.
i wonder if the dealer cheaped out and fitted a low rated towbar.

Ours is 3 ton rated, but we have 6 bolts as have no side flange on towbar to permit use of other 4 fixing points. Can you tell me what is batch no & part no of your towbar, also what was build date of your car and was it a genuine Nissan Towbar. Thanks.

Last edited:
ours are "genuine nissan" but i doubt they will be made by the same company as yours. i shall have to look to see if i can find a name on it. both are 2004.
nissan doesn't make them (or most accessories) but nissan does the warranty on them.

pic of the label on towbar
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC00275small.jpg
    DSC00275small.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 130
thats the exact same as mine tweake so i won't post a pic

i'm surprised. i would have thought you guys would all be aussie made ones. we get a lot of aussie decks etc, very rarely are they exported the other way.

Back