Touring

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVLSTX

Reaction score
Want to set up my D40 Navara for touring, I have already organized a fuel tank, snorkel and lift) not really into the hardcore four wheeling so I'm not sure if il need diff locks and stuff like that:.. any idea's that would suit my car would be of great help. If there are other tourers out there, id love to hear where you started your mods. Thanks

It depends where you cruise and what you want to do. I bought mine mainly to do the Nullarbor crossing once a year, at the time the ability for it to drive on the farm was a bonus but well down the list of priorities, therefore I made mine fit the purpose and that purpose wasn't all the 4wd bits that other people need.

Depends on your idea of touring, if dirt roads are it, stock with a set of all terrains will do you, use 4wd when off the black stuff if towing or loaded up.

Do you like mud, rocks, off the main drag?

We love touring, doesn't matter if it's sealed or not we drive on it. Even with a stock height (standard suspension) vehicle we were happy enough to tow around central Oz (the pic in my sig is from the Ernest Giles Rd, standard suspension, original highway tyres).

We've found the canopy invaluable. Inside, I can safely have a 60L Engel fridge, auxiliary battery + charging system, spare fuel, tools, generator, folding chairs, tent, sleeping bags etc etc. Have to watch the dust - it gets in no matter what you do.

In the cabin, 9" DVD headrests for some rear-seat entertainment. Soft, soft carpets on top of rubber mats on top of the original carpet makes cleaning easier and is comfy underfoot. Tinted windows, weathershields on both front windows, dash mat to stop glare.

We also tow that van everywhere. Forest trails, minor water crossings, up the Alpine Way, through the dirt tracks in western NSW - even around Mt Panorama. Need a break? We stopped here for lunch. Just pull over, get in and make a sanger then hit the road again.

attachment.php

Yes, the sky was that blue - picture was taken with a HTC Touch HD phone (5Mpx) and other than resizing the image (originally 2592x1552px) no other editing or processing was done.

Photo taken at a rest area on the Stuart Highway at 1:16pm.

Attachments

• 07 - Lake Hart SA.jpg
    07 - Lake Hart SA.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 294
Mine is also setup as tourer/weekend play vehicle, I have the usual list of "stuff" to help enhance the vehicle to make it a little more capable and practical when camping/touring, in terms of lockers they certainly do make a difference in traction when tackling the rough stuff, personally I don't see the point as the Nav has pretty shocking entry/departure angles plus IFS which really puts some of the gnarlier tracks off limits. Unless you are going to turn it into a serious offroader (eg, SAS or 4' lift and above) the standard LSD and 2' lift + decent tyres will suffice....IMHO ofcourse

For the record my list of mods so far - ARB Sahara Bar, OME 2' Lift, BFG All Terrains, Macquarie side steps/sliders, IPF 900XS spot lights, ARB Canopy, ARB Canopy Racks, Snorkel, Redarc dual batt, Tigerz11 awning, GME UHF, sat nav/dvd combo player + reverse camera, LED reverse/work light and a few other little mods here and there. My next mod after reading a few threads on here will be under body protection more than likely go with ARB....

Last edited:
Back