Tigerz11 and Roo Systems baned from the Melbourne 4x4 show

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe2006

Reaction score
Read this elsewhere and thought it might be worthy of discussion.

Roothy was a firm believer in buying the quality Australian product but things have changed.

Is choice good or are we all screwing ourselves out of jobs buy buying the cheap imported stuff?

Maybe the big boys had it too good for too long and the competition is starting to hurt?

Why is it that some Australian manufactured 4x4 stuff can be cheaper to buy overseas and import back than buy directly from from the manufacturer/retailer here?

Last edited:
Stolen from facebook,
a letter from Charles Vella - the owner of Australian 4WD Action. It reveals a lot about the industry, and is well worth a read.

I am Charles Vella, the owner of Express Media Group which I founded 26 years ago. We publish 4WD Action. I also have a financial interest in Tigerz11 and Roo Systems.

I started 4WD Action over 200 issues ago with a view to cover the 4WD lifestyle and help 4WDers enjoy the Aussie bush for less money. Other prominent 4WD media was then, and still is, mainly concerned with expensive new vehicles and products. For 15 years 4WD Action has been showing the average Australian that you don’t need lots of money to enjoy the bush with your mates and family. This is largely the reason why 4WD Action is so popular today.

Almost 12 months ago I declared publically my intention to be financially involved in 4WD products. Our many years of testing 4WD products showed us that it’s not always the most expensive products that are the best. In nearly every case, the products that did the job and represented great value for money won our product comparisons. A year ago I decided to invest in 4WD products as I saw a real need for better priced aftermarket gear that more Australians could afford.

I have chosen to personally explain my take on the 4WD Industry as there are many untruths being circulated. I choose not to hide behind my own media and share with you what you are not being told. As far as I see it, 4WDers deserve to know where their hard-earned money is going.

The decision to get involved in the selling of products was met with a great deal of industry outrage but much support from our readers – in fact, our readership in the 12 months to March grew 18%. This tells us that our readers believe we have made the right decision.

The financial cost of my decision was the cancellation or non-renewal of over $2 million dollars of advertising. We expected this to happen, as Tigerz and Roo competed directly with some of our advertisers, but someone had to give the public access to more affordable prices for quality 4WD and camping gear so that they could enjoy the outdoors.
At the 5 big shows Tigerz and Roo attended many fans applauded us for giving them access to affordable products. The response at these shows has simply been overwhelming, and I can understand this would have upset some competitors.
The recent banning of Roo Systems and Tigerz11 from the Melbourne 4x4 Show will deprive our audience from visiting these companies’ stands.

The same show promoter still wishes to advertise in our magazines for that same show! Despite the treatment we received we will run their ads.

We are providing to 4WDers what Aldi and Costco are providing in other markets – not everyone can afford top brands.
I have put everything on the line and borrowed against my assets to fund the stock that is being provided to dealers – all products are supplied on consignment, so that the public can buy their gear at the online price, but can save freight by picking up locally.

We know how hard it is for small business and have fully funded all our Australian dealers by giving them the products to sell with no outlay upfront for the business owner. They only pay us for goods after they have sold them. Because of this unique structure, that no other 4WD company has offered, our dealers are growing their businesses and creating new jobs for Australians. It saddens me to hear false accusations that we are taking away jobs from Australians, when in fact we are creating many of them. Maybe if other players in the industry offered the same opportunities for small business and lowered their own profit margin, maybe even more jobs could be added.

I know that most products you buy for your 4WD are made in Asia, including many of the vehicles themselves. Don’t be fooled by claims of supporting Australian industry – many of the products that Tigerz and Roo sell compete with imports made in the same countries as some competitors’ products.

While our products like most others are made overseas we have created many new jobs for Australians. Our dealer network is over 50 companies strong, and growing rapidly.

I have risked what has taken 26 years to build to ensure the public can get decent products cheaply. This is very much a David and Goliath battle – I am doing this with my own money, and taking on a whole industry.

People have accused me of being greedy, but this fight has cost me plenty.

The industry needs a shake-up.

Look at air-travel – we needed Virgin to get a better deal.

Look at the cost of accommodation – WOTIF.com and similar sites changed that landscape.

Look at the increasing popularity of Aldi and Costco.

Tigerz11 and Roo Systems operate on modest margins, and the buyer enjoys the benefit.

Many aftermarket manufacturers will say that a lot of the reason for their higher prices is to justify the cost of R&D. Even using an estimate of the industry employing up to 100 engineers and even assuming they are paid $100,000 each that’s $10 million. We are talking about an industry that is turning over around $1 billion annually – that equates to around 1% of turnover being spent on R&D. We also invest a lot of money on R&D yet our prices are still much lower.

It is beyond belief that anyone from the public, the media, or the 4WD industry can question the morals of a much smaller company, such as ours, risking everything to offer customers better deals.

Who is really standing up for the battlers? Much of the 4WD industry along with some media outlets, that stand to benefit from the increased advertising their support brings, is fighting against us. I’m not telling you which products to buy and never will. I just want 4WDers to have more choice. As long as the customer wins, 4WDing will only benefit as a whole. Without more companies and the public challenging the big players of the industry, prices will never become affordable.
Competition of this kind, while upsetting to some established players is what the industry and 4WDers badly need. I have never been afraid to fight for what I believe is right, nor stand up for those who I believe are being unfairly treated.
If I have been able to contribute in making 4WDing more affordable in Australia I will consider our efforts to be worthwhile.
Charles Vella

Charles Vella is full of shit and the staff at EMS hate him, every time the cash flow drops there are mass sackings and then when he works out that you can't produce a magazine without most of the staff he hires a new bunch of idiots. You only had to attend the first Roo Systems Sydney sale which was run out of the EMS warehouse to see what was going on...

They were not banned from the show they just didn't get round to booking the site in time....

I for one am glad to see Roo systems banned from that show and taking advantage of people who should know better anyway.

as for tigerz, its good to have cheaper stuff but when most of it is just crap I'd rather pay more for quality products that won't fail in the middle of nowhere.

They can say what they want about the big companies ripping off the public and claiming a service in providing cheap gear to those less financially well off but, what they omit from their rant is how they get their products. The big companies (your TJM's & ARB's) have spent countless hours and dollars on development and innovation. These newer cheap brands take that product, send it to china and have it copied to be sold at a fraction of the price.
Take a look at the cheap bull bars such as Ironman. Many are an exact copy of the ARB bars. They haven't even bothered to change anything!
Yet if the big companies say anything, they are criticized for protecting their interests. And they put their bogan pinup Roothie up saying their treatment is un-Australian! Poor form.
As for the show issue. A few minutes on google will show that they weren't banned, they forgot to book!

What is embarrasing, apart from the typo in the heading :embarassed:, is that EMG and Roothy have made such public cocks of themselves.

As a friend of mine once said
'Working people can afford to buy cheap things'

I'd never touch the stuff over a branded product anyday of the weel

As a friend of mine once said
'Working people can afford to buy cheap things'

I'd never touch the stuff over a branded product anyday of the weel

For some people branded products are out of their financial reach for others it's a choice, why pay top dollar for something that'll only get used a couple of times a year and spend most of its life in the shed gathering dust.

I personally wouldn't buy any of the 'top dollar' retailers products, as far as I'm concerned regardless of their 'superior quality' they're a rip off.
I've been in the stores I've looked around, I've checked the prices and compared them to the 'cheaper brands'.
I bought a winch from a cheaper manufacturer and it works just as good as the equivalent product from the 'top of the wazza' maker.
And at a quarter of the price it only has to last half as long to be twice as good.

If an Australian manufacturer scores a deal to sell their product to an overseas market through a distributor in that country do we expect them to knock it back because of some moral obligation to the local industry of that country ?? I doubt it.
Just my 20c worth ... Spend your money where you like I don't give a shit really, all I want is alternatives that suit my budget.
Cheers

For some people branded products are out of their financial reach for others it's a choice, why pay top dollar for something that'll only get used a couple of times a year and spend most of its life in the shed gathering dust.

I personally wouldn't buy any of the 'top dollar' retailers products, as far as I'm concerned regardless of their 'superior quality' they're a rip off.
I've been in the stores I've looked around, I've checked the prices and compared them to the 'cheaper brands'.
I bought a winch from a cheaper manufacturer and it works just as good as the equivalent product from the 'top of the wazza' maker.
And at a quarter of the price it only has to last half as long to be twice as good.

If an Australian manufacturer scores a deal to sell their product to an overseas market through a distributor in that country do we expect them to knock it back because of some moral obligation to the local industry of that country ?? I doubt it.
Just my 20c worth ... Spend your money where you like I don't give a shit really, all I want is alternatives that suit my budget.
Cheers

At the end of the day ill get three prices and pick the middle :)

I'm only new to the whole 4x4 scene but and it might be just me. Roo systems does just look cheap. I'm looking for a winch at the moment and after just seeing what the roo systems winch looks like I have decided against it looks like it will only last a two or three recoveries but like I said I'm only new and don't know much about it all

Hahaha eat shit I'm glad to see that the truth is starting to come out about these company's ! F&@k u roo systems and emg for backing these bogens. They arnt fighting for the battlers only themselves I spent over $4000 dollars with roo systerms and have nothing bar shit from them I bought because I thought I was supporting a good thing. Your chip package is nothing apart from a ****ing joke. Voids the shit out off my warranty, and where were u when I asked u to stand by your product to the dealer ? Dogs ! have had my fuel rail and all sorts of dramas with your cheap shit re badge Product. I have been in touch with u about this issue that many time I have lost count u have the worst customer service I have ever seen I am still waiting for your phone call Clen haden about a store credit, refund ?, replacent chip and or harness ? And still nothing lol wow your staff did offer me one of your cheap shit light bars worth $400 if I sent my chip back! Absolutely over your bullshit as far as your magazine gos u have lost the point of family 4wding and reality of what mont people use them for shame on u roo systems biggest bunch of dog ****s I have ever met. Word of mouth spreads fast glen but I'm sure u will sink your own business soon anyways people are awake to your shit now , I we will be the ones to have the last laugh. 4wd action mag u will never get another cent out of me

Can you do us a favor, make a post in the technical section detailing what went wrong exactly and all the details, I have been warning people for ages about the dangers of rail pressure chips and it would be good if others less convinced read it.

I'm only new to the whole 4x4 scene but and it might be just me. Roo systems does just look cheap. I'm looking for a winch at the moment and after just seeing what the roo systems winch looks like I have decided against it looks like it will only last a two or three recoveries but like I said I'm only new and don't know much about it all

Thing with winches is you can still get a cheap good one, TJM ones are only like $1000 (with plasma rope) for example whereas I think the Warn ones ARB sells are like $2000+

you can get a aldi winch for something like $400 when they come on special but would you trust it to work when you really need it?

you can get a aldi winch for something like $400 when they come on special but would you trust it to work when you really need it?

I haven't looked at an Aldi winch so this is not about them specifically but when it comes to cheaper products what makes one think they can't be trusted when they are needed? There is hundreds of cheaper alternatives to products which are often as good as the original but so often when someone needs to 'rely' on the product it's suggested cheap may not be good. Expensive fails too, doesn't make cheap right in every case but it certainly doesn't make it wrong in every case either.

There is always cheap products made cheaply but there is also cheap products made with the same parts as the expensive products which are overpriced. Simply looking at a cheap price tag and suggesting the item must be cheap may not always be the best option.

Aside from that most of us are hypocrites when in comes to the cheap v expensive debate anyway. Looking around our own houses there wouldn't be many of us that couldn't say at one time or another we haven't taken the cheaper imported option over the more expensive option. Anything from cupboards to cabinets, computers to tvs, light globes to batteries yet throw a cheap imported winch on a car and suddenly the chances of it failing because a person might rely on it becomes an issue.

Manufacturing in this country is dying and no one in their right mind should want to see that happen but higher prices here are not only because of company greed, consumer greed plays a big part in it and the importation of cheaper goods is going to continue to happen because of that greed which we are all responsible for.

I haven't looked at an Aldi winch so this is not about them specifically but when it comes to cheaper products what makes one think they can't be trusted when they are needed? There is hundreds of cheaper alternatives to products which are often as good as the original but so often when someone needs to 'rely' on the product it's suggested cheap may not be good. Expensive fails too, doesn't make cheap right in every case but it certainly doesn't make it wrong in every case either.

There is always cheap products made cheaply but there is also cheap products made with the same parts as the expensive products which are overpriced. Simply looking at a cheap price tag and suggesting the item must be cheap may not always be the best option.

Aside from that most of us are hypocrites when in comes to the cheap v expensive debate anyway. Looking around our own houses there wouldn't be many of us that couldn't say at one time or another we haven't taken the cheaper imported option over the more expensive option. Anything from cupboards to cabinets, computers to tvs, light globes to batteries yet throw a cheap imported winch on a car and suddenly the chances of it failing because a person might rely on it becomes an issue.

Manufacturing in this country is dying and no one in their right mind should want to see that happen but higher prices here are not only because of company greed, consumer greed plays a big part in it and the importation of cheaper goods is going to continue to happen because of that greed which we are all responsible for.

well said
my "aldi winch"(bought 2nd hand) has been used a dozen times

Last edited:
Fcuking ARB, Fcukinf BoreWheel Drive Action, Fcuking (sorry who else are we bashing) I can't stand the way this fcukers rip us Aussies off, fcuking deadshit bastards ought to wake up to themselves and realise we pay their fcuking wages, they should be our fcuking slaves!

:big_smile:

The funny thing is I was going to buy an aldi winch just so I could say I had a winch and my car looked a little bit tougher, if it worked well that would be a bonus.

Latest posts

Back