ticking/tapping sound

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a leaking exhaust flange is it. From when they took it paddock bashing on the test drive.

fairly sure they've eliminated all everything external hence they are going to open the timing cover and pull the sump off to check if anythings wrong there. Will keep ya all posted as it develops on monday.

So car is still not fixed has been close too 2 weeks now of thrashing the absolute guts outta there loan micra. Yesterday I finally got the shits of not getting a straight answer and the dealership telling me they were always waiting on nissan in melb to tell them what they want them to do. I rang the bastards myself and tore shreds off not 1 but 3 different people till I got to the manager and got answers. So the comings out of all this is apparantly a shonky timing chain and stripped tooth on a gearset. Only took them 2 weeks to find out. So now waiting on them parts to arrive and piece it back together. So hopefully this time it will be fixed!

Do they have hard evidence that it is the timing chain. If they do find out what the kit is worth first and and if it's the same as a YD25 double row kit take the money or demand they fit one of them. That way it's fixed for good. If they don't find anything with the chain it could well be the belts or pulleys. I have had my chain done with a YD25 kit and if I wet my belts I still get the rattle. I recommend Replacing the belts and servicing the pulleys first then do the chain if that doesn't fix it.

Cheers.

Glad they finally got down to it mate. Nissan are shit with their warranty service.

Your not wrong there mate! fingers crossed this is it this time.

Alternator pulley mate, exactly what mine was doing.

They did all pulleys and belts first didn't change the noise at hand but did quieten it down so might of fixed another problem that was going to pop its head up it the not too distant future.

Do they have hard evidence that it is the timing chain. If they do find out what the kit is worth first and and if it's the same as a YD25 double row kit take the money or demand they fit one of them. That way it's fixed for good. If they don't find anything with the chain it could well be the belts or pulleys. I have had my chain done with a YD25 kit and if I wet my belts I still get the rattle. I recommend Replacing the belts and servicing the pulleys first then do the chain if that doesn't fix it.

Cheers.

apparantly its all in detailed photos because they have been sending photos and reports between the dealership and head office. Don't think they would replace a factory unit with an aftermarket one when its being done under warranty. Car is only 18 months old and has only travelled 23000km.

Cheers Mitch.

That sux doesn't it. Man it failed early. At least they found it. Ask if they are going to replace the tensioners with the new chain. They should but that could have been what caused the problem in the first place. They did have tensioner problems at some stage. Something along the lines of the oil feel blocking up and the tensioner taking to long to get the chain tight.

Good luck with it all.

My money is still on alternator. I know you said pulleys and belts have been done but I'm reading that as idlers. My alternator tested and felt fine but still made that noise, it's the clutch type pulley failing and I'd be surprised if Nissan changed it considering what they charge for an alternator and I don't know if they offer the clutch type pulley as a replacement part. $300 aftermarket alternator fixed my noise.

been a while since i updated this but they found the problem last week. Ended up being "out of spec" crank bearings. Wrong size from factory allowing the crank to move round a bit. All conrod bearings + big end + and front crankshaft bearing were replaced. Noise is now gone! Only took 9 weeks and 4 trips back!!

One to keep in mind for anyone who bought a Japanese built 2012 2.5cr.

Mitch

Glad its sorted. Makes you wonder how things like that happen with all the technology these days...

Mine was doing the same noise.Replaced the fan belts and noise was gone.STRANGE

Latest posts

Back