Tapping into the high beams

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruicky12

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First time poster. I've bought myself a 20" light bar to go on the front of my bullbar and already have spotlights fitted. I am going to run a seperate wiring harness for the light bar but am just wondering how to actually tap into the high beams? I have read it is at the back of the headlight but not being very autoelectrically good will I be cutting the wire and soldering the harness to that or is there an easier way?

Any help would be much appreciated

Do you need to tap into the high beam circuit again, or can you just take a feed of the trigger side of the relay for your existing driving lights? Same result, less fuss.

Hi doc,

I suppose I can do that. Will that mean I wont need a whole new relay and just use the existing switch in my dash if I just go into the existing driving light wire which is connected to the driving lights? I'm more worried about the actual connection and whether I use a splitter or simply cut the wire and solder it together?

Hi doc,

I suppose I can do that. Will that mean I wont need a whole new relay and just use the existing switch in my dash if I just go into the existing driving light wire which is connected to the driving lights? I'm more worried about the actual connection and whether I use a splitter or simply cut the wire and solder it together?

You can use a piggy back spade terminal to take a jumper off the relay. If it were me, I would use a separate relay but strictly there is no need I guess.

You can use the wire you have already tapped off the high beam circuit. Just piggy back off that to a second relay .Will mean your still switching the lights via a relay and it will just come on and off with your current lights. If you want to have them operate separately then run another wire from where your current switch is. Piggy back off the powered side of the old switch to the new switch. then connect the new wire you ran from the switch location to the relays and use that to trigger the new relay.

I have bought a new relay and everything is fine as I will have two separate switches on my dash. My original query was and still is how to physically wire it to my high beam wire. The key word there is 'how'

I used a multimeter to locate the positive wire that feeds the high beam on the back of the passengers side headlight on my D40.I spliced into that wire and used that to feed the live sides of my switches .The switches then feed to the coils of the relays to drive the driving lights.You could also trace that wire back to the factory relays and use that to feed the switches

Basically means there is minimal extra load on the existing circuit and all lights will dip when you go from hi to lo beam

You can also take the feed from the headlight circuit straight to the relay then a single wire off the other side of the coil on the relay thru the switch on your dash to earth/neg. switch it, to make the relay pull in when power from the high beam circuit is present at the relay.

to answer the original question, the best way is to solder and heat shrink, this will give you the most secure join. that's not always needed tough. for mine, I just used one of the joiners that go around both cables then you drive a steel plate through them both making the connection. easy to remove if needed and no cutting of original wiring

Latest posts

Back