Stx 550 40000k service

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
Nissan did the 40000k service the other day took them about 2hrs $905 do you reckon thats enough time to do it all

if they actually did EVERYTHING on the list as they are supposed to do i would expect it to take longer than two hrs and if you add up the cost of the fluids, parts and labour it would suggest its meant to take 3-4hrs

yeah mine cost just over $1000 and did not take long. they did not even replace mu air cleaner. i had to ask them to as i have a k&n and they assumed i did not want one. i said i paid for it so i want it. it states at 40k it needs a valve set done. i highly doubt they done this. same as my auto oil was not changed, they said this is not done until 80k, i just home when it all fails nissan wears the price...

y it states at 40k it needs a valve set done. i highly doubt they done this. ..

Valve set??? what do you mean valve set??

check if the book says except 3lt v6 (or what ever nissan call it) ect because it does say that with the ZD30 and YD2.5

check the tappet clearances, my book does not have my enine variant, nissan is to lazy to add it at the time

My ST-X 550 will never see a Nissan Service Centre. The only service it has gone in for was the free 1st 1000km service. After that she goes in for all others to my local Opposite Lock. I made the mistake of Nissan logbook servicing with my previous ST-X D40. Never again!

I did the 40K on mine in about 2 hours with the help of my mate and that included a tyre rotation. The work isn't overly taxing but I would have thought a dealership would take longer than 2 hours. Did it just say on the docket that there was 2 hours labour or was it only 2 hours between when you dropped it off and picked it up?

I agree with what Nathan says too. There is several things listed in the book that are for other engines and tappets or valves (I can't remember which or the exact wording) was one of those things that was not for the D40.

Basically all the 40K service is, is replace the oil and oil filter, replace the air filter (or blow it out depending on it's condition) replace the diff oils and I think replace the brake fluid and the rest of the stuff is all checks which can be done quite quickly. Yes it's called a major service because of what gets done but it's not really major in time and often mechanics ask for the car for the entire day so they aren't pressured, it doesn't mean the car wasn't done in 2 hours and sat there for the rest of the day or even that the time listed was done in one hit.

I did the 40K on mine in about 2 hours with the help of my mate and that included a tyre rotation. The work isn't overly taxing but I would have thought a dealership would take longer than 2 hours. Did it just say on the docket that there was 2 hours labour or was it only 2 hours between when you dropped it off and picked it up?

I agree with what Nathan says too. There is several things listed in the book that are for other engines and tappets or valves (I can't remember which or the exact wording) was one of those things that was not for the D40.

Basically all the 40K service is, is replace the oil and oil filter, replace the air filter (or blow it out depending on it's condition) replace the diff oils and I think replace the brake fluid and the rest of the stuff is all checks which can be done quite quickly. Yes it's called a major service because of what gets done but it's not really major in time and often mechanics ask for the car for the entire day so they aren't pressured, it doesn't mean the car wasn't done in 2 hours and sat there for the rest of the day or even that the time listed was done in one hit.

I dropped the car off the night before as it was booked in for 8.00 I told them I will pick up at 4.00 but when the flood waters started to rise I rang them about 9.15 and told them that I needed to pick earlier they checked with the mechanic and said that they would be finished in about an 1hr I said what a hour to do the full service she said it has already been up on the hoist for 45min about 1 1/2 later I pulled up to pick it up it and they were just parking it. Checked the invoice last night as I have been flat out with work it says in time 8.00 and out time 5.30 as promised, labour $455 I have checked new air & pollen filters new engine oil will check the rest on the weekend but what I have seen so far has been done

Yeah I wouldn't take too much notice of the times on the worksheet anyway. But 2 hours and 15 minutes for someone who knows what they are doing and does such things day in day out isn't unreasonable. Sure they might not have done every minor check listed (and I doubt any mechanic, even home mechanics do at every service) but it's enough time to drop the oil, replace the filters and do the brakes etc.

They charge by the book. If the book says it takes 4hrs but they get it done in 2 they still charge 4hrs. Last time i asked Darwin nissan they charge $130 hr.

image-2793867068.jpg

yep I got stung today on my 40000 service. 1280 dollars.
car promised for 2.30 and at 3.30 they were still trying to bleed the fuel system or some such bullshit.. Seeing they had the car before they opened and rang me at 7.50 am to check on what I wanted done I think taking over 7 hrs to do the service is crazy. Also considering they told me they ccan't do a major service on a Saturday because they need more than 4 hrs to complete it. and they are only open from 8-12.

Makes someones service centre extremely efficient or not... will be the last service Nissan get from me...

Yeah I wouldn't take too much notice of the times on the worksheet anyway. But 2 hours and 15 minutes for someone who knows what they are doing and does such things day in day out isn't unreasonable.

I'm a plant mechanic at a mine, every now and then we'll have to service one of the mine vehicles. We're given exactly 2hrs only! to go right over everything to look for damage (mines are hard on suspension) change the oil, fuel and air filters and change the engine, gear box, transfer and both diff's oil's, every service regardless of km.
think some of these light vehicle guys need to pull there thumbs out.

The thing about servicing at dealerships (especially) is that just because they say they want the car for 8 hours doesn't mean they are working on it that long.

The last thing I will do is stand up for dealerships and say they are right but fairs fair they often have plenty of other jobs on at the same time and working on one vehicle may only require two hours but that two hours could be done over the whole day.

$1000+ for a 40K D40 service is and always has been a rip off, but so was the $300 I got quoted years ago (before capped price which I wasn't eligible for) for the 10K service but it's the price one accepts when they choose dealership servicing just like they pick the time frame the dealer lays out, it's not really any different with any other mechanic who says "here's the cost and pick the car up at 4". Dealerships deserve all the crap they get but some people really do love to bash them for a sport rather than a legitimate reason.

True enough but most net-whingers barely even prove their own story let alone prove repeated rogerings.

Still for those who keep going back and asking for the repeated reaming maybe it's worth reconsidering their approach, although it really does seem that some people prefer a good reaming over improving their situation.

True enough but most net-whingers barely even prove their own story let alone prove repeated rogerings.

Still for those who keep going back and asking for the repeated reaming maybe it's worth reconsidering their approach, although it really does seem that some people prefer a good reaming over improving their situation.

Well I never went off my head unless I knew for a fact they were giving me the run around.. Last time that happened was with my old VY ss 2 weeks after I got it I had to have an engine rebuild because the tapping noise was so loud in the engine it sounded like a diesel and Holden tried putting it on me because I didn't run it in properly.. Suck my balls I went off my head. Apparently they noted it down in the system and every time I went in I got bad service because of it. Never the less a few threats and so on I got the engine rebuild under warranty especially after I told them I will get a current affair etc on them lol after the rebuild it was fine but servicing every time I went in they were nice and as soon as my details come up "abusive customer" they talked to me like shit.

Now lets put it the other way if I would have been nice and let them walk over me I don't believe that they would have covered it under warranty because once a prick always a prick if you ask me..

one thing to consider is how many people were working on it though. if it were one guy, you'd think it was far too quick, but perhaps they were light on work and had 3 guys on it and turned it over quickly, you never know

I for one though, will never go back to a dealer. I was quoted $1100 for my 40k service and had it done by a local tructed mechanic for $600 and his invoice matched up to the logbook. It's the age old thing where dealers always charge excessive amounts for servicing, I thought the capped price servicing was a good thing, but it just lines the dealers' pocket even more IMO

Latest posts

Back