Stuck in nth simpson

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Navara

Reaction score
G'day,
We got half a day in to the north Simpson and my son in laws D40 failed to go into 4wd.
We tried resetting computer with the 20 starts technique without success, so towed the 40 back to where he could manage in 2WD back to Alice.
Any ideas what else to try?
ABS light in on as is diff lock light, but 4WD indicator just flashes.

Help?

have you tried going in reverse for say 50 meters then forward ? also check all vacume hosesfor any signes of spliting at the connections.

Sounds like an abs sensor is not working. Might be worth checking the fuse first, might be ok, but it is simple to check just in case. Failing that he may have broken an abs sensor wire on one of the wheel sensors, so you'd have to crawl under and check all those too.

Hopefully it is something simple, especially being all the way out there...

My guess is an ABS sensor or a front wheel bearing (which blocks the ABS sensor input when it starts to disintegrate).

You can manually engage 4WD by removing the servo and turning the mechanism inside 90 degrees - do NOT turn it more (it will start to engage 4LO and be finished at 270 degrees.

We are back in Alice and are waiting for access to the dealer here.

As the grandkids were in the truck we have quit the tagalong. We got the Nissan road service guy out but he just said don't drive it.

So one truck down and sitting in Alice until Monday.

If by north simpson you mean the simpson desert....id imagine you have seen some gibber rocks in your travels...nasty things....could easily take out a rear abs or a front.

If a abs line is out...it disables the 4x4 part or the ecu.the abs lines are also used for speed sensing and a few other things.they are critical.

Howdy- what a shame, I feel for ya'! I Hope you get it sorted, it looks like the "abs wire" is the odds on favourite lol you'll have to keep us posted on what it was... cheers Vic

If it is damaged tho....and you can see the damaged area...you could cut and solder/join back together...i damaged my front one when i did my first lift...just soldered and heat shrinked it.all o.k for years now

Hahaha...glad it was a nissan to nissan recovery.
Its amazing such a important wire is so exposed..they really need a cover plate...i lost a big front mounted Dshackle on the birdsville track..it sounded like a coil spring let go...came out and hit everything under the car on the way thru...i stopped fearing the worst....coundlt see anything and turned around to find the object...found my shackle and pin.
Nasty roads up there.

Hahaha...glad it was a nissan to nissan recovery. Its amazing such a important wire is so exposed..they really need a cover plate...i lost a big front mounted Dshackle on the birdsville track..it sounded like a coil spring let go...came out and hit everything under the car on the way thru...i stopped fearing the worst....coundlt see anything and turned around to find the object...found my shackle and pin. Nasty roads up there.

It was after the defender tried twice! (More novice driver than defender adult - pulled up too soon and the d40 just sank again)

A couple of the trucks lost shackles off their rear recovery setups during the trip - looks good having them hanging, but it's tough when you need it and it's 50k back down the track, or the bloke behind you wears it!

Son in law is looking at making up protective plates now.

Ironman apparently offer a protection plate for d40s

image-2959582081.jpg

Looks like this

Latest posts

Back