speedo v's gps

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got one of those $20 things from fleabay for the territory and it works a treat.
Plugs into the laptop and shows me heaps and comes with free ui's.
should of done the same for the nav, since the SGII dose'nt show things that i want ie: oil press, and there seems to be no aftersales service or even a reply.

In fairness to Ample (and I don't know which guy I dealt with) for me their after sales service and their before sales service was brilliant and I have no problems with it but my dealings were done before the person joined this forum and were done directly (well via email) with them. There has been little to no response, other than a sales pitch, on this forum and there could well be a reason for that but when I've emailed them directly I did get a response within 24 hours, usually within a few hours.

I also sent a pm about a month ago and have no response for that either.
I'll give it one more go and try an email to them.

I am also trying to reduce the error from my speedo reading... Now looking at the jaycar speedo corrector or scangauge options.

Does anyone know which is the the speedo signal wire colour at the plug which connects into the instrument cluster? (STX 2010 dual cab)

Or how does the scangauge 2 pickup the speedo correction if it is readin from the on board computer data? Do you have to do any programming or is it just plug n play with a feature buikt in to apply a correction factor?

Cheers

The ECU registers/reads/calculates the 'correct' speed from the cogswapper transducer but the cluster displays the factory buit in "error" speed.

The SG or other OBD plug in devices/software read from the ECU thus enabling them to show the true speed.

SG is almost plug and play, has a few initial user inputs, explained in the op manual.

:cheers!:

Jim.

The ECU actually knows fairly accurately how fast the vehicle is going (with standard tyres). This means that plugging in a ScanGauge will result in an accurate speed measurement.

The inaccuracy is in the needle mechanism of the speedometer. It is, after all, just a coil-and-magnet setup that twists more around clockwise with higher voltages applied.

To get it calibrated (since the ECU has the correct information already) you need to adjust the needle itself.

In my opinion, it's not worth doing. It's easy enough for me to use the speed display in my GPS to know that when my needle shows just over 110km/h I'm actually doing 100km/h, so sitting on a speedo reading of about 105 in a 100 zone is safe and just under the limit.

If you change tyre sizes you still have issues to deal with.

The odometer readings are taken by averaging the information from the ABS sensors. I don't know of any way to alter that information and wouldn't even consider trying to. The best thing to do there is find one of those 5km-long "odometer check areas" on the freeways, stop at the start sign, reset your trip meter or write down the value, then stop at the last one and work out how far out you are within about 10 metres. You could then use this information to either justify a possibly expensive change to your vehicle, or notate that the is likely to be a certain percentage of inaccuracy in the readings.

Latest posts

Back