Speaker Wire

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjohn

Reaction score
I'm shopping for speaker wire for my home system and noticed the HUGE prices for so called premium stuff. Being sceptical I did some online research.
Wikipedia has reference to some great articles.
It turns out ALL speaker wire is made of the same purity 99.9%, which means they are ALL oxygen free 99.9%.
The gauge or strands within the cover does matter if you are doing longer runs.
There is a table available to tell you which gauge or AWG wire is required for which application.
In basic terms 16g or 16AWG wire is good for a 15m at 8 Ohms.

I didn't quote anything here in case of copyright.

Premium wire, not worth it if you ask me. I bought a 100mtr roll of 14AWG from Ebay, used it to run speakers out to the shed, wiring in the caravan for 12v accessories, lots of things. Works well.

Open a set of $500 brand name stereo speakers and have a look at the wire they use internally then compare that to the "premium wire" stores tell you that you can't do with out for quality sound.

Unless you're running $100k speakers, just get the appropriate guage wire from jaycar.

Speakers don't run high voltage and generally don't run high current either. With low power applications, even smaller gauge wires can handle the load. With finer stuff over a longer run you'll see some deterioration in volume but it won't be major.

If you want a long run with no deterioration, go optic fibre. The only problem I have with optic fibre sound is the delay - even with a short run, the time taken to convert the signal creates enough lag that when used for a video, you can see the lip sync is out. Might have been the home theatre system (Kenwood) - but it went away when I changed to normal wire (and bloody thin wire it was).

Now that sounds unlikely in this day and age.

A thread discussing hyped up products would be the largest thread on the forum before midnight :sarcastic:

You need something with a large diameter, that will give you good connectivity through to your drivers, it's not alot different to running a second battery, you need to reduce the loss from the amp to the driver (speaker).

Honestly, I wouldn't spend much on speaker cable never have.

If you have a sound proof room, top quality drivers, no interuptions whilst listening and remain sober through the entire experience, I can't see the point in spending mega bucks on top quality hi fi gear, never have.

I once designed a 100W 0.0x% loss amp, being an electronics engineer in an earlier life, never built it, I couldn't see the point, coz there was always background hum coming from the rest of the world.

All that top notch hi fi gear is a wank if you ask me.

Along with the CD is better than vinyl, better than laserdisc crap. Now they reckon vinyl is better than CD..... wankers.

Latest posts

Back