Spare tyres question please

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Navara

Reaction score
I recently upgraded tyres to 75s from 70s, but only got 4.
Starting to get ready for a Simpson crossing this winter, and it suddenly dawned on me that putting on the spare might wind the diffs up.

So, am I right in thinking this? I hAve two brand new bridgestones that I will have to change over I think.

Mine's getting new ones on it today, 75s too. I am getting 6 though, 2 spares, so changing the stock spare for a 75 too. I had the same thoughts as you. It might be ok for a temporary spare, but you shouldn't run different sized tyres on the same axle for long periods. I got a better price for getting 6 of them too.

If you're lucky they may be able to do a trade in if your current spares are new or near new. You can only ask I guess. Either that or look on gumtree or something for second hand 75s with decent tread on them...

Defiantly get a spare with the same rolling diameter as the rest. In an emergency you could place mismatched tyres on the front in 2wd, but long term it is a risk to the rear. Given the remoteness you are traversing spend the $ on the correct setup.

As above.

It's actually important to continually rotate your tyres so that the spare wears at the same rate to avoid problems. I have first-hand experience with this problem and haven't been rotating tyres - so with the lesson learned, I thought I should pass it along.

I blew one of my 255/70R16 BFG ATs a couple of weeks ago, and put my steel-rimmed spare - an original Continental 255/70R16. Same tyre size, but the Conti had only ever seen about 100km on the road so it had a greater tread depth - and thus a larger rolling diameter. To avoid problems, I made sure this tyre went on a front wheel.

Well, it caused me problems. I engaged 4WD when I needed it (flooded road) and it wouldn't disengage - the transmission started to bind up. I had to make some left-hand turns (the Conti was on the left front) so that the right-hand wheel could "catch up" before 4WD disengaged.

Moral of the story (that I've now learned the hard way) - rotate your tyres and NEVER use an unmatched tyre unless it's an emergency - and if you do, put it on the front and try to avoid 4WD.

Yes, I'm shopping for 5 tyres now. These BFGs have seen 80,000km and it's time to get some new shoes. I'm thinking BFGs have been good to me, but am happy to consider Goodyear Wranglers or Mickey Thompson ATs - I won't ever touch Bridgestone, and don't like the reports of chipping people have made about Cooper tires, although some people swear by them.

Going to go see the second hand tyre joint, and see if they will do a straight swap. The 70's have been roaded but that's it- had to put them on the camper to get rego last year

Latest posts

Back