Show us ya dual battery setup

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Install Pt2

web.jpg

web.jpg

Here is my dual battery system. I made the drawers and then got the local auto electrician to connect the battery system. I’ve got less than no idea with electrics, so left it up to the professionals. They ran heavy duty wiring from main battery through to the auxiliary battery in the tray, mounted and wired the Redarc isolator and mounted 3 x sockets. I then bought a sidewinder voltmeter and got him to wire that up to. I looked around for a voltmeter that would show voltage of both batteries, and then stumbled across the sidewinder which could do that, as well as link the two batteries together for emergency starting. I’ll tape that switch down so the batteries can’t be accidentally linked.

Here’s the drawers system…
DSCF0622.jpg

and the voltmeter and sockets…
DSCF0623.jpg

access to the battery….
DSCF0625.jpg

the isolator next to the 2nd battery in the tray
DSCF0626.jpg

Everything seems to be ok, but these are things playing on my mind:
· Is there enough ventilation for the battery (it’s a fully sealed battery, so I’m assuming that is not as important??)
· Is it ok for the isolator to be so far from the main battery? All the others I’ve seen have the isolator under the bonnet
· Will the new wiring be good enough for circumstances where I want to link the batteries to crank the motor (I’m assuming if the system is working well enough I should never need to link them)
· Will the tray area get too hot to effectively run the Engel?
Like most things, time will tell I guess!

Battery isolator position

Hi Fisher,

I was just wondering how you got on with the isolator being in the tray and not under the bonnet. I'm looking at installing a Matson isolator in my 06 D40 but there is not much real estate under the bonnet so i thought i might install it in the tray similar to yours. Have you had any issues with this?

Gags

Shouldn't be an issue, those that I have read which state a max distance from the main battery to the isolator claim 5.5 meters so unless you cross the chassis right to left a few times you shouldn't have any major issues. But it might be worth checking the documentation with your isolator and see if they list a max distance because a few factors could change the distance and not all isolators are exactly the same.

Dual Battery Setup

Thanks Krafty,

Since my previous post I have actually designed a bracket that allows me to bolt the Isolator on the main battery tray parallel to the battery. So not the distance is approximately 200mm but thank you for the advice. I have also made myslef a battery box holder that fits over the wheel arch in the tray. I have also secured a remco AGM 100amp battery does anyone have any info on these batteries?

Cheers Gags:rock:

Apart from the AGM your set up sounds pretty much the same as mine.

I'm fairly sure if you search for AGM battery you will find an fairly detailed thread somewhere relating to AGM batteries and their worth.

Latest posts

Back