Service interval for ST-X/ST-X 550 and other questions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bluester

Reaction score
Hi all, long time without a post from me (I sold my D22 18 months ago)

I am considering a new Nav for the wife, either a current ST-X or a 550. For the towing we do the V6 should just do it much easier than the YD25.

One road test I read suggested that the factory service interval on the 550 was 5,000km, not the more usual 10,000 (Though I have done the oil in our R51 Pathy at 5000 since the warranty expired) What is the real story, is the factory interval 10,000KM in normal conditions and option 5K for extreme or is it 5K and that is that? Perfectly prepared to think they they got it wrong on the road test report, the one I read before it reckons that they have an 8 speed auto :/ I take much tech stuff in reports with a large grain of salt.

The other questions would be if anyone has had any significant problems, I know of a couple of early turbo failures on these engines (Which are pretty much engine out to replace I am told) but that does seem to be the minority, I have heard of one that keeps going into limp home mode and the dealer can not figure out why, but that is about it.

I recall some comments on here about the auto not holdng gears when manually selected but I could not replicate that when I test drove one (I took a demo out overnight) As soon as I manually selected a gear it just stayed there (Along with the manual gate selecting a more sporting auto mode until you manually select a gear as well, like a Falcon does. A good idea IMO)

What sort of real world fuel consumption are people getting, the demo averaged under 10L/100KM on a loop from Ardeer in Melbourne, to Kilmore and back to Werribee via varied roads and with me in squirt it and giggle at the torque mode.

And do they tow as strongly as the figures suggest? We would tow a horse float and a race car with it, both up near the 2000KG mark and the float has the aero of a caravan, as in ordinary.

The other contender is an AWD diesel Territory, yet to test drive one of them but we probably should.

Thanks all for any comments.

I have had an STX 550 now for just over a month and have travelled about 4500ks and I am loving it.

The 5000k service is optional, like most diesels they offer a mid service if driven under extreme conditions.

I can confirm they will not hold gears in manual mode if you put the boot into it. Anything up to mid throttle and they hold OK but if you floor it they will drop back 2 or even 3 gears. The auto is programmed to keep the revs in the peak torque range, I have found this to be the best at doing this of any recent ons I have driven. Some will not like that as it does mean around town it never gets out of 4th gear and won't select 7th until you are almost doing 100kmh.

This is by far the best towing vehicle I have had, I tow a 23'Jayco that weighs in at about 2500kg. I have towed 3 times now with the 550 and it is getting better each time. I do the same trip regularl;y with the van and there is one hill that I use a benchmark of how well the car performs with the van on. With my last tug, a Pajero 3.2D, I would hit the bottom of the hill at 110 and by the top she would have slowed to about 90 with the foot flat to the floor. The same hill last week with the 550 and I had to back off the throttle half way up as I was starting to go over the speed limit. Until you have towed with one you wouldn't believe how good they are.

Fuel economy is excellent as well, around town I am getting in the 9s and with the van around 15-16 l/100k, this compares well with the Pajero that would have been 18-20.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I drove a territory diesel today as it really has to be on the list too, obviously vastly more car like and it would tow well but a couple of problems with them that I see.

Just like the XR6 I used to have, there is nowhere to put your right foot when on cruise control.
The performance of the 550 is just in another league, the territory felt flat in comparison.

But on the other and, they are cheaper and for the most part more comfortable, but I have a hard time looking past the foot room issue, the nav still has to be in with a shot.

If you are after car like the Pathfinder Ti 550 is worth a look at. A little bit pricey at $13k more than the Navara but has everything the STX 550 has and a lot more including a 3500kg towing capacity.

I had to go for the ute as I have a 28' fifth wheeler so a wagon was out of the question.

Peter

The money really is the clincher in our case, we can probably stretch to the navara 550 but even to a four cylinder TI pathfinder is a bit much more of a stretch, let alone a TI 550, in reality we could do it but we have that bit of money earmarked for something else.

Latest posts

Back