Sand Recovery Tools And Techniques

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old.Tony said:
The answer is fairly obvious. If I am out of fuel, I know precisely where I am on the planet and can use that information to find the nearest fuel source. The satellite phone does allow me to call directory assistance and get their number! I then pay someone for the fuel, their time and THEIR fuel plus a little extra to remind me not to be so stupid and go somewhere with insufficient fuel.

If my tyres are shot, again it's a case of "I should have had spares" and you should ALWAYS carry a tyre repair kit.

If you're just stuck somewhere, the shovel/snatch/winch is the best option of course.

If it's a mechanical failure - and let's face it, even the best of us can prepare our cars and something can still fail on them - you have little choice but to call the nearest town and seek a tow from them. Lock up the camper/caravan/whatever, climb into the tow vehicle and go. You can then seek assistance getting your camper/caravan towed back to civilisation.

None of us plan to be stranded like that. Common sense dictates that when venturing into truly dangerous territory - and our outback is definitely in that category - then you take extra precautions, carry an extra spare, carry extra fuel, don't take risks like off-roading in the scrub. But even taking all the care possible, you can still break down 200km from Erldunda and need assistance. If you don't have a satphone, it's a bloody long walk - and yes, there are LOTS of snakes there.

I'd rather have the satphone and stay where it's safe.

Sat phones can be had for as little as $650.00 on sale through Inmarsat. Great device

Old.Tony said:
We bought one from Rays Outdoors on a 25% off special, only paid $800 for it. Not unhappy with that!

Can't complain at all. They could save your life mate.

getting back to topic, i've used the maxx traxx several times with great success and the most important thing to remember when using them is let your tyres down (and dont spin the wheels on them as they break the lugs off). I was bogged on a beach and had to reduce pressures down to 12psi to get out.

matmce said:
getting back to topic, i've used the maxx traxx several times with great success and the most important thing to remember when using them is let your tyres down (and dont spin the wheels on them as they break the lugs off). I was bogged on a beach and had to reduce pressures down to 12psi to get out.

I definately will be picking a set up before I hit up Fraser island this year. A winch, a snatch strap, max trax and a sand anchor. Can't go wrong

I camped with a bloke in Coward Springs (between Marree and William Creek) a couple of weeks ago who hired a sat phone for $250 (plus calls) for 2 weeks. Just FYI.

On the ground anchor topic you can use a number of star pickets in a triangle formation (like the set up of the pins in ten pin bowling) on a angle with rope from the top of the front one to the bottom of the next and so on, to form a solid winching point. I haven't used that method myself but was told by a bloke in the army they do it that way.

matmce said:
On the ground anchor topic you can use a number of star pickets in a triangle formation (like the set up of the pins in ten pin bowling) on a angle with rope from the top of the front one to the bottom of the next and so on, to form a solid winching point. I haven't used that method myself but was told by a bloke in the army they do it that way.

Stuff carting around star pickets haha. Ground anchor should be fine.

We bought one from Rays Outdoors on a 25% off special, only paid $800 for it. Not unhappy with that!

A bloke on a bushwalking forum I belong to picked up a cheap one a while back - he has no SIM card in it as the SIM is not required for emergency calls. Might be a way to save some coin for those not prepared to pay for a plan.

We're on a $20/mo plan for our satellite phone and I can't complain about that.

FB, instead of a star picket or expensive sand anchor, you might also find that your spare tyre, when buried in the sand, is quite effective too. Replace the sand anchor with a long-handled shovel and you're probably set to go.

Old.Tony said:
We're on a $20/mo plan for our satellite phone and I can't complain about that.

FB, instead of a star picket or expensive sand anchor, you might also find that your spare tyre, when buried in the sand, is quite effective too. Replace the sand anchor with a long-handled shovel and you're probably set to go.

Yeah sounds good although what'a easier? :)

at the start of the thread it was asked about tips etc, so just getting back to the hessian bags for a moment, I havnt done it myself but have been told the idea behind the sacks is to fill them with sand, maybe half full?

Apparently this is so they dont just get sucked under but can supply some firmness to drive on and away?

Like I said I havnt tried it, but if it works well its a lot cheaper and easier to carry than maxtrackks. Means a bit of work digging and you would need a shovel.
Thoughts?

I've been doing some 4wd instructing up at the sand dunes in Lancelin, WA for a few years now, and the only thing better than getting unstuck is not getting stuck at all.

1. Lower your tyre pressure. Now go lower. Tyres pressure makes the world of difference, and until people experience it for themselves they really don't understand how much difference a few PSI makes.

2. Momentum over a dune is the key. If you dont know what's on the other side of the dune then run up and have a look first. If you don't make it up the first time, retry again on the same line you already took, as the sand will be hardened a little.

3. If traveling with another vehicle, and your stuck up a dune, have your mate pull you back down the dune and have another crack. It's much easier to pull someone down a dune than it is up it.

4. On a flatter surface, use your trusty shovel and Maxtrax work very well too.

Have fun.

VB

How far would you bury you tyre if using that method? Has anyone actually tried this?

How far would you bury you tyre if using that method? Has anyone actually tried this?

until your misses starts whinging bout getting sore arms ha ha.. na seen somebody in a toyota ute with alli tray so not overly weighty burry his about 600mm. worked ok.

I've seen roothy do it on a DVD. He buried it with the tyre standing up. He buried it so the entire tyre was under the sand, about level. Then dug a channel out of the sand so the winch cable could attach down low on the anchor point. Then cover everything back up before attempting to winch. Digging in sand is pretty easy, hence why you also got stuck!

Currently for sand we have about 30m of bulk bag(think woolpack) side strips.

For an anchor, I am on the look out for a damaged 1 ton sling bag. I figure one of those is easier to use than the spare tyre. As you dig the hole for the tyre, you just shovel the sand into the sling bag which you have already positioned on the other side of the hole to the bogged vehicle.

Initial winching just drags the filled bag into the hole and jams it in the cable slot, then you can load it up/wich harder. When empty, it is also a handy ground cover for goes-under activity or keeping firewood dryish in camp.

Personally I have a lot of trouble justify spending that much money on a pair of one-use-only items like maxtrak, plus they are kind of weighty.

I am not too keen on burying my shovel as a log anchor either. That sounds a great way to break/snap/crimp the handle. Similar problem with a longish star picket, i.e you'll just end up with a curved star picket.

I do have a kit of three mangled ends of star pickets (~18"-50cm) with some chains and D-links to link them in a fan(three point anchorage for harder ground). Just need to remember to pack the steel chubb hammer for them.

Latest posts

Back