remote winch plug

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fitzie

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever installed a plug for your in the bullbar for the winch so control box can be mounted else where. If so how did you do it. Thanks

That's a tough call. The winch needs to be close to the control box because may winches can draw 400A - and we're not talking for a few seconds like with the starter motor, we're talking sometimes up to a couple of minutes. Lengthy cable, or light-duty cable, will simply heat up and burn under those conditions (your average arc welder uses 130A, if that gives you an idea of how much power the thing actually deals with).

Where were you thinking of mounting it?

Yeah mine is and no probs.

I assume you mean extending the control wires from the control box so you can put the wireless receiver and or wired winch control remote in a different spot, if so no problems as these are small wires (some even mount these in cab with a rocker switch for winching in or out), mine is mounted and been drilled into the bull bar on top nice and flat with weatherproof cap so easy to get to and put wireless receiver in or wired control remote, with the main control box/solenoid and isolator tucked away out of sight and hands but close to winch itself as above post describes why.

Last edited:
I installed a Thompson Solenoid on the radiator support panel near the air box. Have a snorkel so put the plug in the redundant part of the air box. If I have to use the winch I need to pop the bonnet to plug in the hand control. My number plate normally covers the winch so until you get close up you wouldn't know I had a winch, everything is out of sight.

Did you remove the plug from the control box or can you buy a new plug. If a new plug where did you buy it from tried everywhere but can't find who sells them.

i left the box all together and ran 3 wires to 2 change over relays and did a isolation switch and winch in/out in the cab. P!ss easy and worth while next is a air

i left the box all together and ran 3 wires to 2 change over relays and did a isolation switch and winch in/out in the cab. P!ss easy and worth while next is a air

That's what we did in a mates car when he got an old winch of he's dad with no control so much easier to use esp if your in the thick of it

I removed the plug, ran the extra wires needed to relocate plug, sealed up old plug hole, no probs, would of ran it into cab as well with a rocker switch but changed my mind.

Easy enough to do, and for safety a good quality battery isolator on main battery positive wire to winch is good insurance.

I moved my plug to inside the grill right next to the Nissan badge. I only use the plug when I'm respooling the rope in. I have the incab switches. Will get some pics if ya want.

Here's where I mounted my plug.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 81
I did this on my D40. Moved the solenoid behind the left strut tower and installed the plug into the side of the top glove box. This way I can leave the controllers in the glovebox till I need them. The solenoid cables run along the firewall then down behind the air box. Used 0 awg welding cable for it.

I also used an isolator off the battery and a rocker switch that switches power to the plug.

Main reason was to prevent any kids trying to play tricks on me. Works well thus far and everything is hidden away but still easy to access.

Latest posts

Back