Rear view camera (not reversing)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunker

Reaction score
Hi Folks
Loving my new (to me) 2019 Navara Tekna. Im using it for work so the RSI canopy is pretty full which obstructs the rear view. On my last truck (2002 Defender 110) I had mounted a reverse camera wired permanently on that came with a rear view mirror shaped video screen. This was an excellent alternative to a standard rear view mirror.
So my question is, has anyone done similar on a Nav, perhaps wired into the on board screen?
Thank you

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-12 at 12.27.56 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-12 at 12.27.56 (2).jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 0
I haven't done it, but it's easy enough to do, especially with one of those wireless jobbies. There's only one catch with those - my daughter's car has one, and when she's stopped at intersections she'll sometimes have someone beside her with an active camera and her rear view mirror comes on showing their camera output! The suggestion here is to NOT use a wireless one, despite how simple they are to wire in ...

It's easy enough to set one up. They're not high current devices so they don't suffer from voltage drop as much as, say, a portable fridge, so the wiring can be relatively light. Install the camera which will have 4 wires - two for video, plus one black wire and one red wire for power. Your tow hitch may have an ignition-active power line (especially if it's a 12-pin for towing heavier trailers, and/or charging the trailer or running a 12V fridge in a caravan). Use this (and the tow hitch earth) to supply power to the camera, then run the other pair all the way along the chassis and through the firewall. Bring the cabling along the side of the footwell and (after removing the clip-in plastic panels) up to the "A" pillar and then across above the roof lining (may have to unscrew the sunshades) and pop the wire out the middle. Run the power for the screen at the same time, you could take a 12V feed from the stereo (which will have an ignition-on line as well) but may only need 5V (eg USB) but it's easy enough to wire in a 12V USB adapter in there too!

Latest posts

Back