R200A in a D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathand22

Reaction score
how to put a R200A diff in a D40

hi guys, just wanted to know what would be involved in putting a R200A diff in a d40?

i have done a search and cant seem to find any threads, but i do remember reading somewhere that it has been done.

has anyone on here actually done it? or was it on another forum?

:cheers!: nathan

Last edited:
Nathan, if it could be done, I'd love to do it .... i've just blown my front diff for the 2nd time this year.

I dare say that you cant just do one diff, but both diffs - but then what needs to be done to the transfer case?

I will be starting to do my own research into this to convert my Navara, or I will be forced to upgrade to a Patrol for my off-road adventures.

biggest issue is matching diff gears, myself and d40navara on 4wd action forum has looked into it and the gearing killed it, im going to swap in a 05 onwards hilux diff, ratios are available, spares are world wide, aftermarket bits to make em stronger are dime a dozen, its the best way to go that ive found so far

I wanted to use a pajero diff cause they are heaps heaps stronger but lack of aftermarket stuff is holding me back and keeps telling me toyota

You'll need to make new mounts.

You could use D40 outer CV's and use D22 inner CV's and then get the correct length.

C200 centres will fit.

You just have to track down a centre.

Id go the Pajero diff over the Yota diff.

whats the d40 ratio? theres alot of different ratios available from the states.

good question joshy, thats probably the first thing i should find out, anyone know??? woody seems to have plenty of experience with them maybe he knows............. WOODY!!! are you there??? :dontknow:

so it seems like it will be easier to put in one of the other diffs mentioned.
the thing that i now need to ask, is with either toyo or mitsu diff, are we talking the whole unit or just the centre???

dave where do you think the best place would be to start looking for a c200??
i did a quick google search and found a mob in the states who do them for $450us,
here is a link https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=frontier+front+diff+&x=7&y=9
so will these bolt straight in??? i will send 4x4 parts an email and find out what the go is

you need the whole housing not just the centre so above link doesnt help much. When you find out your ratio, there might not be the same ratio in the d22 but maybe you could go up or down one set and then they would match up. Run 33's-35's and go up a gear set and your gearing will be back to normal with the bonus of a stronger diff that you can air lock.

i just got an email back from the guys in the link i posted earlier "4x4 parts.com" just thought i give you guys a look.

G'day Nathan,

We do not have a different front differential available for Frontier, you may be able to use the diff from Nissan Titan, but you will have to swap out the upper and lower a arms and CV shafts from Titan as well. We are working on a locker, but it is not available yet, possibly first of next year.

Cheers,

Mike
Automotive Customizers

To: "4x4parts.com" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:36 AM
Subject: Enquiry from 4x4parts.com

what do you think of that idea, going with the titan front end??

allot of companies seem to be bringing a locker out "early next year" i wonder if that will actually happen..........

Last edited:
alot more work, and alot harder to source parts. have a look on the american frontier forums.

D40's are around the 3.6:1 ratio, no one makes a front gear set for d40's

As for titan gear, you would need to find v8 pathfinder cv's which are rare as rocking horse you know what, the other way is to run the whole titan front end, diff cv's upper and lower arms, downside to that is it increases wheel track by about 3" per side

Yeah but your not looking for a front gear set for the d40. You need a front gearset for a d22, either 3.6 or whatever other options there are for the rear.

It would be cheaper to get bubs to make up a custom front ifs size diff then it would be to get all the titan gear and then get it over here.

i thought the titan front end would end up to wide for a start but the cost would be the other issue.

joshy who is it that can make custom diffs?? bubs?? who are they, and where do i find them to find out how much that option would cost??

there has to be a way to beef up the front diff so the D40 can run a locker or an auto lokka at a price that makes it worth the hassle.

might look more into the toyo or mitsu option.

i just wish you could swap out the centre and be done with it

i would still be getting a piece of paper, and googling every ratio available for the d22 r200/c200 and whatever the rear diff is on the d40 as a starters. as swapping your front diff for a navara r200 is by far the cheapest/easiest way to do it.

Bubs is doing a few custom housings atm. if you sent him your housing i dont see why he couldnt make a custom housing that took whatever centre from whatever truck you want (ie find a car that has the ratio that matches your rear with decent strength, patrol, landcruise) and then use the original axles or short side axles/ custom. That way your cvs are still standard and the housing is still the same width. couldnt help you with price but depending on what parts are needed could prob be done for $1500

i would still be getting a piece of paper, and googling every ratio available for the d22 r200/c200 and whatever the rear diff is on the d40 as a starters. as swapping your front diff for a navara r200 is by far the cheapest/easiest way to do it.

Bubs is doing a few custom housings atm. if you sent him your housing i dont see why he couldnt make a custom housing that took whatever centre from whatever truck you want (ie find a car that has the ratio that matches your rear with decent strength, patrol, landcruise) and then use the original axles or short side axles/ custom. That way your cvs are still standard and the housing is still the same width. couldnt help you with price but depending on what parts are needed could prob be done for $1500

thats the sort of info i need thanks josh. sounds like a good plan, i will get cracking on the google thing.

Sorry nathan ... i'm around - but working really hard on the muster stuff, and not doing much 'normal' posting

I just put a new left axle and front diff in on Tuesday (sourced from niss4x4wreckers) (thanks ADAM). I didnt' have time to look into tuffer alternatives.

Latest posts

Back