Pressure Washing Engine/Bay

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bourke72

Reaction score
Hi all after a good day out 4x4ing and driving through bog holes in Cobaw State forest on Sunday, there's mud all over the engine- can i pressure wash the engine without worrying too much about harming anything obviously i will avoid too much concentration of water and directly spraying battery side and fuse boxes - but there is a hell of a lot of electrical connection is this engine bay, just wondering how many guys have wash it down,
cheers

You don't need a pressure washer mate. Just a decent stream of water from a hose, and wet everything down. Let it soak, and hose it again.

Pressure washers don't just force water past electrical connectors, they also can force water past seals in fuel line fittings, oil seals etc.

Mud that has been baked on will not hose off without scrubbing anyway. A simple brush from a dustpan/brush and a tub of soapy water is your friend.

BTW - batteries and fuse boxes are largely fine when it comes to water incress. They are very well drained and not a problem (except the one up near the firewall on the passengers side). If you are worried though, get out the glad-wrap and wrap things you want to protect with a couple of layers. Easy to apply, easy to remove.

my old man was a car detailer for many many years and had to pressure wash all sorts of engines and engine bays, and never had a problem, just dont use ridiculous pressure (which none of the coin operated machines or little Karcher have any way).
Mechanics have to do it all the time as well, if there is oil and gunk and crap over the engine they will often degrease and pressure wash to ensure a cleaner working area and it also help prevent crap falling into open bits and peaces once they have pulled things apart.

I have done it with all my cars from time to time, always do it with a COLD engine, and no problems ever, no water in things or damage to seals.

If you do that (cold engine) and make sure you dont hold the "wand" to close to anything and keep it moving, dont hold it in one place and inject water into areas where gaskets and seals are.
Spray a little ct18 truck wash on first let it soak for 5min, then give it a hit with the pressure washer and you will be sweet, with a little common sense you wont have a prob.

Last edited:
Agree with Nathand22.been doing it for 15 years and never had a problem.i normally run mine engine from cold just to make sure nothing stops working.not that's it's the way to do it.its just my way.

Back