Premium Fuel....Worth it?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a blind test with my wife's car. Every time she needed fuel I said no worries love I'll fill it up for ya. As I didn't want her to know. Anyway kept a check on the consumption of the 91 first and after a couple of tanks of 98 (the Shell one) then did a test on the 3rd tank-full of 98, covered 50 ks more for exactly the same amount of fuel. Did the maths and it just wasn't worth the extra cost. It did seems to run better on it, more in the low end and mid range. she puts 95 in it during summer. Stops the detonation.

After working in an Australian fuel terminal for just over four years now as an operater and seeing the changes in fuel colours, densities and performances I've found out a lot about the pros and cons but my own opinion (take it as you will) is far from what I first expected!! First off desiel is the most refined and pure fuels you can buy ( apart from aviation fuels of course) and a lot of work goes in to its combustiblity which I didn't realise and then there's ulp 91 which would have to be the lowest .. O there is one lower which is sugarcane based ethanol which is good in theory but attracts water like crazy which is not ideal special in servo tanks, then you got your 95's and last of all there's 98 ( call it what you will) but after seeing the corrosive sticker on additive which is added straight to your 98 I started to under stand why they do it , it is a cleaning agent just like what you would add to you normal fuel but after seeing what this additive does to valve gland packing, sensors and normal pipe work around the terminal after no product flow for awhile i was a bit unsure about the life span of cars using this 98 overall it does clean your fuel tank, fuel lines and engine really we'll but it's only early days and to see what it does to cars in the long run is any ones guess, so unless your vehicle recommends 98 octane for performances I would only use it maybe once a Month for and clean out 91 is still great to use as well as 95 but at the end of the day it all depends on the servo station,( never fuel up at the servo when there's a fuel tanker unloading for at least a day because they normally stir up the bottom of the tanks leaving suspended water and crap from the bottom of the tank and put in you tank which is not good, I hope that helps and if you have any questions please ask

Cheers

After working in an Australian fuel terminal for just over four years now as an operater and seeing the changes in fuel colours, densities and performances I've found out a lot about the pros and cons but my own opinion (take it as you will) is far from what I first expected!! First off desiel is the most refined and pure fuels you can buy ( apart from aviation fuels of course) and a lot of work goes in to its combustiblity which I didn't realise and then there's ulp 91 which would have to be the lowest .. O there is one lower which is sugarcane based ethanol which is good in theory but attracts water like crazy which is not ideal special in servo tanks, then you got your 95's and last of all there's 98 ( call it what you will) but after seeing the corrosive sticker on additive which is added straight to your 98 I started to under stand why they do it , it is a cleaning agent just like what you would add to you normal fuel but after seeing what this additive does to valve gland packing, sensors and normal pipe work around the terminal after no product flow for awhile i was a bit unsure about the life span of cars using this 98 overall it does clean your fuel tank, fuel lines and engine really we'll but it's only early days and to see what it does to cars in the long run is any ones guess, so unless your vehicle recommends 98 octane for performances I would only use it maybe once a Month for and clean out 91 is still great to use as well as 95 but at the end of the day it all depends on the servo station,( never fuel up at the servo when there's a fuel tanker unloading for at least a day because they normally stir up the bottom of the tanks leaving suspended water and crap from the bottom of the tank and put in you tank which is not good, I hope that helps and if you have any questions please ask Cheers

Very good write-up mate.

I believe people will take on board what you have stated.!

I personally use 98 pretty much every tank fill in my NAV,And in my wife's FALCON XR50.
I also personally believe, it comes down to which company you choose to fill your tank up at as to the quality of fuel or diesel for that matter.

Thanks again for the detailed write up.

Cheers,
Geoff

YEP!GOT A V6 'BUT I LIKE TO CUSTOMISE.

Last edited:
Very good write-up mate.

I believe people will take on board what you have stated.!

I personally use 98 pretty much every tank fill in my NAV,And in my wife's FALCON XR50.
I also personally believe, it comes down to which company you choose to fill your tank up at as to the quality of fuel or diesel for that matter.

Thanks again for the detailed write up.

Cheers,
Geoff

YEP!GOT A V6 'BUT I LIKE TO CUSTOMISE.

In reality all Australian fuel comes from only a handful of refineries and the brand that is on the pump it come out plays very little part in the quality of the fuel.

In reality all Australian fuel comes from only a handful of refineries and the brand that is on the pump it come out plays very little part in the quality of the fuel.

Mate,
I know we're coming from, but I would much rather go to say BP or Caltex to get my fuel rather than a independent, who knows how much they water it down with other additives,.

That was the point I was trying to Make!!

Cheers,
Geoff

GOT A V6 PETROL, BUT I LIKE TO CUSTOMISE!

dunno if its worth it or not but I have no choice
both my cars run on 98 and both are thirsty, yes its my choice but tell me...
why should I pay 20c a litre extra
we have some of the poorest quality fuel in the developed world and we STILL think its ok to pay ridiculous prices, diesel for eg is a BY PRODUCT of the fuel making process FFS

end rant

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back