Premium Diesel showing up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raziel

Reaction score
I've noticed some stations offering Premium Diesel ($1.50 at last look).

At a glance it looks like the marketing guys at Caltex are pulling our chain. But i was wondering if anyone's givin it a go, and what do you all think of it.

Chris

I've tried it a few times and haven't noticed any difference, but considering diesel is a byproduct from the processing of petrol it makes me wonder what is / could be done to make it "premium". I mean... You can't polish a turd. Anyone know if it actually is different & why?

There is people out there who swear by premium diesel just like people who swear by premium unleaded. Some suggest the premium diesel is better for CRD motors and some suggest it's better economy, personally I think it's one of those areas where different people will see different results depending on what they want to see. But in the meatime the fuel companies will just be happy to have people pay a premium price for something the costs the same to manufacturer.

Who sells it in Vic.... I've not seen it anywhere???

As for Premium unleaded, a bloke came out in the media a while back and said all the 'supposed' grade of ulead are the same just the petro Co's ripping us off.....da da daaaaaaa...

true or false?????

hehehehehehe..

:cheers!:

Caltex call it Premium and BP call it Ultimate, as far as I can tell and I did all the scientific research (i.e. I read a web page) they are both pretty much the same fuel.

Man there you go again expressing doubt over scientific theory, have you no shame.

It's amusing, and I think it's coming about because there is a trend towards small-capacity diesels in some up-market vehicles. BMW are introducing a 0.8L TD. Audi have TD across a number of their range. Even the garden variety manufacturers are getting into it, I'm seeing a number of diesel Holden Cruzes and Captivas kicking about.

"Premium" diesel is a way to appeal to the snobby bastards that don't need to indicate to turn left from the right lane on a freeway, or double-park across your driveway because they want to have a half-hour conversation on the phone to a sex line and can't use their steering wheel with their knees while both hands are busy like that.

Caltex in NSW have several outlets with signs up out the front showing "Truck Diesel to the left, 144.9cpl and Premium Diesel to the right, 146.9cpl". Next time I see one and I remember, I'll take a picture of it.

Personally I don't see why they have to introduce more reasons for personal self-satisfaction. Penthouse ought to be enough already.

Caltex in NSW have several outlets with signs up out the front showing "Truck Diesel to the left, 144.9cpl and Premium Diesel to the right, 146.9cpl". Next time I see one and I remember, I'll take a picture of it.

And I thought apartied was long gone.....heavens above!

It's a wonder the premium diesel pumps aren't next to the cashier and under lock and key......

....while we are making assumptions about BMW and Audi drivers we may as well also point the finger at them for doing all the drive offs because they've spent too much money on their cars and houses to afford the go juice to put in them

I also saw the program on the PULP (premium) vs ULP (unleaded) on ACA and the story was full of holes. Running the cars on only 5L of fuel on a once of test is hardly scientific. For that matter anyone that believes all that ACA etc say, are fools.

Many new cars especiallly the euros and performace cars are tuned to take premium fuel. Although they will still run on standard the engines will be stulish and ping and most likely be less economic.

My previous car was previouly owned by someone who only put standard fuel in it. I run 4 tanks full of standard beofore I started to use premium. It took about 6 tanks of premium till I started to see increased performance (the car felt faster, and I do see the holes in this) and more importantly better economy. I dont know the reasons for this I am guessing ot has something to to with ECU calibration. But I took note of economy figures ie km/L.

As for performance diesel I would assume that something similar was true. Most importantly the car needs to be tuned for a better grade of fuel.

-nick

If the "premium" diesel has a higher cetane rating then I could understand the need for constant use - or to be even smarter, perform an ECU reset on the first tank and be there weeks ahead of the normal "wait and let the ECU figure it out" alternative.

But that's not what I believe is happening. Caltex's Premium Diesel web page (click on the 'diesel' tab on that page) doesn't have any mention of a cetane rating difference. They have added detergents, they have added antifoaming stuff and removed some of the stink.

Wankerfuel. I'm not paying more for it unless I'm getting more for what I'm paying.

I used both a while back and found it used more fuel using the Ultimate diesel and same with the Premium.

So are you suggesting that at times when you're alone you might have dabbled in it but wanker fuel just isn't for you Dave?

at my local caltex they only have premium diesel? theres no standard diesel bowsers lol

but i still got it for 137.8 :p thursdays are cheap, they dropped it 8c then had a 4c voucher

but yeah, with the old ass cruiser 1hz, no ecu fancy shit box, i notice no difference between it and standard shell diesel (no longer buy cause its pricey as shit). same econo also

Just for those interested, here's a Wiki page on the cetane value of diesel fuel.

Basically, the cetane number is an index of the quality of the fuel, but also specifies how much pressure & temperature the fuel needs to undergo before it ignites. The higher the cetane number, the better the fuel.

The shame is that unlike unleaded fuels, service stations don't actively promote the cetane rating of the diesel being sold. I expect that may change over time as more vehicles use it and the oil companies figure they can use it as an additional advertising ploy, but they aren't there yet.

Who sells it in Vic.... I've not seen it anywhere???

I've only seen it twice in Vic - both Caltex. One on the Hume b/n Nagambie and Shepparton and the other b/n Morwell and Traralgon - before United Fuel swept through the Valley and took over the Caltex servos.

Never bothered to try it out.

Latest posts

Back