Pre and post intercooler temps

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumpig

Reaction score
Finally got around to putting one of my temp probes inbetween the turbo and intercooler and was suprised at the temperture pre intercooler.

Just accelerating up to 60 kmh it gets to 100 c , sitting on 100kmh it stays at 120 c and 3/4 pace up to 100kmh it hits 150 c.

http://youtu.be/qb0sYkvHbLA

The red gauge is pre intercooler and the blue one is post intercooler. Wasn't expecting temps anywhere near that, boosting to about 15psi.

Nice it makes a huge difference.. I wounder what the differences are between a front mount and a top mount seeing as I believe that the top mount would run hotter because its on top of the engine?

Yea i'd imagine top mounts wouldn't be as efficent, they look smaller to.
Pre turbo temp is at A just beside the air cleaner, B is where the water injection is and C is where the post intercooler temps is recorded just before the shutdown butterfly.

Attachments

• DSCF1692.JPG
    DSCF1692.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 171
I was thinking off putting a bigger intercooler on cause i didn't think the ASE was bigger enough but now that i know how much difference it does make i won't bother.

Well that's a really good idea then, when I upgraded mine I just went for the biggest one I could fit in the space to make it work.. I'm assuming that its cooling more efficient then the stock one..

The ZD 30 never had one from the factory. I've seen 160C so not having one can't be good.

Ahh nice work man, I never knew that.. Never really looked into the zd engine much as I got the yd.. Did you notice any power gains or responsiveness after doing the upgrade?

Nah didn't notice any power gain every thing else being the same but its always hot in Darwin. There's a noticable power difference between day time wet season and night time dry season. The greater the temp difference the better they work.

They've both got their pros and cons, generally comes down to what you can fit in the engine bay.

They've both got their pros and cons, generally comes down to what you can fit in the engine bay.

In mine I have stuff all room to fit either a top mount or front mount so my mechanic reckons a barrel water to air kit would work fine. Guess any intercooler is better than non at al...

Jarryd

Finally got around to putting one of my temp probes inbetween the turbo and intercooler and was suprised at the temperture pre intercooler.

Just accelerating up to 60 kmh it gets to 100 c , sitting on 100kmh it stays at 120 c and 3/4 pace up to 100kmh it hits 150 c.

http://youtu.be/qb0sYkvHbLA

The red gauge is pre intercooler and the blue one is post intercooler. Wasn't expecting temps anywhere near that, boosting to about 15psi.

where abouts did you get the gauges and probes, what was the cost?
would be interesting to test mine out.

you can buy some from Jaycar if you like.....but the real issue is you need to data log the info along with ambient temps / humidity...also boost etc..its not a simple thing to evaluate.....and biggest is not best.

That's ridiculous I get 380 at 100 with tonnes of mods to keep the temp down. That's reading straight flame temp between 3 and 4. Put it in the right place so you don't have to guess.

That's ridiculous I get 380 at 100 with tonnes of mods to keep the temp down. That's reading straight flame temp between 3 and 4. Put it in the right place so you don't have to guess.

You do realise he is measuring intake, not exhaust temps, pre and post intercooler to see how efficient it is...

where abouts did you get the gauges and probes, what was the cost?
would be interesting to test mine out.

Look like the auber gauges

www.auberins.com I believe. You can thermocouples from them too, you just need to work out what range you want to measure

Type k thermocouples are usually the most common. If you have a look through that site they have everything you need anyway...

Last edited:
Yeah their Auberins, about $90 for gauge and probe. There's different types of thermocouples so you need to set the gauge up for the right type to get correct reading.

You can also run multiple thermocouples of the same type to one gauge by using a switch with multiple on positions. I've got one in the exhaust manifold where the EGR pipe use to be and one about 500mm after the turbo. I can flick the switch while driving to see the difference between temps pre and post turbo,

Latest posts

Back