Power loss when towing 2ton

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TigerST

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I know this has been said before but I'm trying to find the answer and it all a bit of a Mess.

Ok So friday night I was playing tow rig.
Specs.
2.5lt Auto D40. 3-ton towingn says Nassin Just had 20,000kms done.
Trailer 600kgs
VS Statesman 1500kgs give or take.

Halled ass fine didnt even know it was there till I reached an on ramp, then no power it all when bye bye, couldn't get passed 60kms foot flat:violin2:. Got back on to the flat power back. Really not cool.

2nd car same spec.
Got to same on ramp. Turned VDC off slipped her in to sports mode and floged her on the flat to get the speed up before going up hill. Still lost power but didnt slow down as much.

Who has solved this problem there has to be a better way the flogging her every time I come to a hill. I was thinking Chip it or Super Diesel may help.

We've hauled the van (shown in my sig) for something like 50,000km - it weighs a little under 2T, probably about 300kg lighter than your trailer, but my Navara would weigh in around 2800kg loaded so we might be fairly similar in total weight (GCM).

We definitely slow down on hills. Coolant temps rise, the vehicle slows - I accept that with that much weight, she's heavy and going to suffer on hills.

The tow rating is more to do with structural capacity than how fast it will haul ass up a hill with the extra weight behind it. Fully loaded we still haul faster than a 70T Western Star and they're unquestionably capable of pulling their rated GCM.

I do. I moved from a Commodore that could get 8-odd LPHK on the highway and it pulled the caravan rather nicely on the flat, but it sucked big-time on any hill larger than a shopping centre speed hump. The diesel was a huge improvement (when towing) - the Commodore used something like 30LPHK around the Hunter region and I've never passed 25LPHK with the Navara. The Navara knows the weight's there, but doesn't struggle with it like the Commodore.

I guess I'd feel different if I had not towed with a smaller car beforehand. Our perception of how things are is always based on expectation and previous experience.

Yeah could be the case as I've never towed anything much bigger then a box trailer with a v6 commodore.

When I was looking at potential tow vehicles, I chose the Navara because the Auto version had the same kW and Nm figures as the manual. The auto version of some of the other utes on the market had lower figures than the manual.

Our van would weigh an estimated 27 or 2,800 loaded and I can honestly say that not many vehicles don't overtake me.

The previous tow car had less power and torque (on paper) than the Navara but pulled the load much more effortlessly and usually more economically with it's 3.2 litre diesel. It was however not as stable as the Nav.

That said, the van had previously been loaded fairly light so as not to exceed the towing capacity of the previous tug.

I find wind is the biggest factor because if there is a tail wind, the car will cruise at around the speed limit, even up slight inclines, but if there is a head wind, the poor bugger is revving its cloaca off and chewing juice like there is no tomorrow. Even side winds take their toll on performance. No wind, flat road = bliss.

I will never know if the other utes would have been better towing prospects but one thing for sure, if this one gets replaced, it will be with something with a bigger engine displacement.

For now I will watch the passing traffic and have time to smell the roses. It gets the job done.

So whether your vehicle has a problem, it's hard to say but would expect that towing a tandem trailer and large car to have a significant impact on performance.

My Navara is a manual trans, and our van is around 2.7T loaded. The ute hauls it perfectly well. On flat or undulating terrain, we choose to travel at around 90km/h, because I believe that is a good economical speed to travel at. But when needed, she'll happily drag it up to 110km/h and hold it there.

Sure, you know it's there on hills and Tassie isn't exactly flat, but I've never been reduced to less than 4th gear on a hill due to lack of power. I've had to go lower due to road conditions (eg narrow, windy, can't actually travel safely at more than 60/70km/h), but that's it.

Sounds strange to me.

Oh, the only mechanical modification I have is an EGR plate, and I also have a chip tuned for low-end to mid range torque.

When I was looking at potential tow vehicles, I chose the Navara because the Auto version had the same kW and Nm figures as the manual. The auto version of some of the other utes on the market had lower figures than the manual.

Our van would weigh an estimated 27 or 2,800 loaded and I can honestly say that not many vehicles don't overtake me.

The previous tow car had less power and torque (on paper) than the Navara but pulled the load much more effortlessly and usually more economically with it's 3.2 litre diesel. It was however not as stable as the Nav.

That said, the van had previously been loaded fairly light so as not to exceed the towing capacity of the previous tug.

I find wind is the biggest factor because if there is a tail wind, the car will cruise at around the speed limit, even up slight inclines, but if there is a head wind, the poor bugger is revving its cloaca off and chewing juice like there is no tomorrow. Even side winds take their toll on performance. No wind, flat road = bliss.

I will never know if the other utes would have been better towing prospects but one thing for sure, if this one gets replaced, it will be with something with a bigger engine displacement.

For now I will watch the passing traffic and have time to smell the roses. It gets the job done.

So whether your vehicle has a problem, it's hard to say but would expect that towing a tandem trailer and large car to have a significant impact on performance.

Thanks Joe, yeah that could be the case as it hauled ass on the flats it was just going up the steep on ramp and even unloaded you need the to apply the berries but nothing like that. Maybe next time I'll just sit on the toque band and putt my up. Going to looking into a few things so I don't putt so slowly.

My Navara is a manual trans, and our van is around 2.7T loaded. The ute hauls it perfectly well. On flat or undulating terrain, we choose to travel at around 90km/h, because I believe that is a good economical speed to travel at. But when needed, she'll happily drag it up to 110km/h and hold it there.

Sure, you know it's there on hills and Tassie isn't exactly flat, but I've never been reduced to less than 4th gear on a hill due to lack of power. I've had to go lower due to road conditions (eg narrow, windy, can't actually travel safely at more than 60/70km/h), but that's it.

Sounds strange to me.

Oh, the only mechanical modification I have is an EGR plate, and I also have a chip tuned for low-end to mid range torque.

Thanks doc. Yeah my ses unit has a manual 2012 rx it hauls in 5th no problem. For what I understand its only the autos that have this problem I guess I'll have to live with it. Not offend I'll be halling that kinda weight.

Yeah I am going to have to look at doing something to get a bit more oomph. On big trips it is just too frustrating.

Still will probably only end up with as much as the current ST :sad:

Well I have Mate who reckons the newer lpg systems are the greatest thing since slice bread.... So a diesel gas conversion maybe on the cards. The Current ST is pretty quick but as Still has the uphill lag. Maybe a chipit or DP chip programed for towing would help those who do alot of towing.

Latest posts

Back