Power cable size

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mahooody

Reaction score
I want a 3rd battery in my tub of my d22 just wondering wat size cable other have used it will have to be big enough for winching to

A 25mm sq cross sectional area flexible copper conductor will suffice, or go up to 35 if your worried.

^ over those distances, at least.

Problem is current drawn through the wire heats it up, makes it dangerous. A cable that long has resistance in it and the ultra-high current makes it heat up really fast.

In all honesty, winch from your starter with your engine ticking over, and if something goes wrong, cart your aux battery around the front and kick your engine over with it (using jumper cables).

Big cables like that are going to need to be supported at numerous places along the way. The weight of the cable causes it to move around a lot, so a long length could be subjected to lots of mechanical stress.

For my money I wouldn't try winching from a battery in the tub. I want something nice and close to the starter for kicking the diesel over!

^
For my money I wouldn't try winching from a battery in the tub. I want something nice and close to the starter for kicking the diesel over!

thats the general consensus......

winch from the starter batt & with aternator charging

Why do you say that it's also for a fridge and so I can have my stereo pumpin all day and all night

If you have three batteries. Use your main for your winch which will be constantly able to deliver the current needed for the winch when in use ( you wont be using it with the vehicle off).

Use the other for your fridge.

And incorporate a 3 position switch for your stereo if you want it to be "Crankin all night and dai mon!"

Do it logically not anally.

Latest posts

Back