Pathfinder won't start

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wazza01

Reaction score
Hi all, first of all thank you for accepting me. I have a problem with a 2010 R51 pathfinder with 2.5 diesel, won't pump fuel to the filter or injectors by cranking but will hand prime to filter

Welcome aboard, Wazza.

Try overpriming it. Like just don't stop pumping the primer. If there's a leak, it will start coming out and you'll be able to rectify it.

How old is the filter?

Welcome aboard, Wazza.

Try overpriming it. Like just don't stop pumping the primer. If there's a leak, it will start coming out and you'll be able to rectify it.

How old is the filter?
Not sure ,it is my daughters . Do they actually have a lift pump or transfer pump to suck up from the tank please, I had retired from mechanics before this was made & can't source any relevant information

On the Navara (which shouldn't be a lot different, we just miss out on the wonderful aroma when we're carting manure around) there's a primer bulb under the fuel filter and a mechanically driven pressure pump - that's it. No pump in the tank.

It's actually not that uncommon for the water sensor (fitted into the bottom of the fuel filter) to be fitted incorrectly - usually it is not turned that last bit to line up the knurled knob with the electrical connection - causing a very slight air leak. That's most common. Diesel won't leak out because that area is a low pressure zone, and if the leak is bad enough, the pump will just suck air and never get fuel from the tank. Overpriming finds these leaks really quickly. The next common failure is a cracked primer bulb followed by old/cracked/overtightened hoses.

Since you were a mechanic, you'll know not to try starting the engine too much without fuel in the fuel pump, but for the other readers, it's because the fuel pump (which is $4K from Nissan, and a very fine tolerance piece of equipment) relies on the fuel to lubricate its internals.

On the Navara (which shouldn't be a lot different, we just miss out on the wonderful aroma when we're carting manure around) there's a primer bulb under the fuel filter and a mechanically driven pressure pump - that's it. No pump in the tank.

It's actually not that uncommon for the water sensor (fitted into the bottom of the fuel filter) to be fitted incorrectly - usually it is not turned that last bit to line up the knurled knob with the electrical connection - causing a very slight air leak. That's most common. Diesel won't leak out because that area is a low pressure zone, and if the leak is bad enough, the pump will just suck air and never get fuel from the tank. Overpriming finds these leaks really quickly. The next common failure is a cracked primer bulb followed by old/cracked/overtightened hoses.

Since you were a mechanic, you'll know not to try starting the engine too much without fuel in the fuel pump, but for the other readers, it's because the fuel pump (which is $4K from Nissan, and a very fine tolerance piece of equipment) relies on the fuel to lubricate its internals.
thank you for your advice, I am in brissy but the vehicle is west of Toowoomba so may be some time before I get back out there but now this old retiree has plenty to work on, will keep you informed of my progress

Latest posts

Back