Painted stock rims

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

ShreksNav75

Reaction score
G'day all, just wondering if anyone has ever painted their stock d40 alloys? I'm thinking of doing the same to mine and looking for ideas, any pics would be awesome. Cheers

Tappet

Staff member
Reaction score
You'll only have one guaranty the paint will come off. You could take them off, remove the Tyres have them grit blasted, then 2 Packed or powder coated. Prolly stay on fairly well then but that is quite a hassle to have- let me guess. Black rims right.

Old.Tony

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
^ just like that. They give a harder finish, both fairly chip-resistant but not impervious to scratching etc.

You could also try using plasti-dip (I think it's called that). It will resist chipping a little because it's flexible, but if it starts to peel it'll come away just as easily as paint (if not easier).

Whichever way you go, try to coat the wheel as evenly as you can, to avoid having to rebalance the wheels.

GunMentalGrey

Reaction score
Plasti dip is ok because it can be removed, but I’ve found it seems to attract dust and is harder to clean off. My brother did his wheels with plasti dip and after an around Aus trip because of all the dust.

Alternative might be buying a set already painted or powder coated and selling your current ones. I see them fairly regularly on online trading sites.

Phunk

Reaction score
Plasti-dip looks cheap and will not have the best finish. I know this from experience.

I've gone black on all my cars recently and my ST is about to get the same treatment.

If it's just a city car with no serious off-roading, painting wheels is simple.

1) Scuff the clear coat on the rims using 180-240 grit sandpaper. don't go too coarse of a grit.

2) clean the dust off and any oil off the rims, I use morning fresh and water, followed by Wax and Grease remover.

3) Get some paper cards from officeworks, like the ones you do speeches with. I jam them between the rim and the tyre to create a wall so you don't overspray the tyre.

4) Paint. I prefer Dulux Duramax in high gloss, it seems to dry the fastest with minimal drips and runs. Rustoleum is ok but not as good as Duramax.

5) (solely up to you) - I add a finishing few coats of clear on top. I do this as an extra layer of protection but it's not 100% necessary.

I only got the car last week, but I've already painted the rear bar in a satin / matte black, very simple. Wheels and side-treads are next up this weekend.