Painted stock rims

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShreksNav75

Reaction score
G'day all, just wondering if anyone has ever painted their stock d40 alloys? I'm thinking of doing the same to mine and looking for ideas, any pics would be awesome. Cheers

You'll only have one guaranty the paint will come off. You could take them off, remove the Tyres have them grit blasted, then 2 Packed or powder coated. Prolly stay on fairly well then but that is quite a hassle to have- let me guess. Black rims right.

^ just like that. They give a harder finish, both fairly chip-resistant but not impervious to scratching etc.

You could also try using plasti-dip (I think it's called that). It will resist chipping a little because it's flexible, but if it starts to peel it'll come away just as easily as paint (if not easier).

Whichever way you go, try to coat the wheel as evenly as you can, to avoid having to rebalance the wheels.

Plasti dip is ok because it can be removed, but I’ve found it seems to attract dust and is harder to clean off. My brother did his wheels with plasti dip and after an around Aus trip because of all the dust.

Alternative might be buying a set already painted or powder coated and selling your current ones. I see them fairly regularly on online trading sites.

Plasti-dip looks cheap and will not have the best finish. I know this from experience.

I've gone black on all my cars recently and my ST is about to get the same treatment.

If it's just a city car with no serious off-roading, painting wheels is simple.

1) Scuff the clear coat on the rims using 180-240 grit sandpaper. don't go too coarse of a grit.

2) clean the dust off and any oil off the rims, I use morning fresh and water, followed by Wax and Grease remover.

3) Get some paper cards from officeworks, like the ones you do speeches with. I jam them between the rim and the tyre to create a wall so you don't overspray the tyre.

4) Paint. I prefer Dulux Duramax in high gloss, it seems to dry the fastest with minimal drips and runs. Rustoleum is ok but not as good as Duramax.

5) (solely up to you) - I add a finishing few coats of clear on top. I do this as an extra layer of protection but it's not 100% necessary.

I only got the car last week, but I've already painted the rear bar in a satin / matte black, very simple. Wheels and side-treads are next up this weekend.

I used a ozito sand blaster from bunings, prepared the surface with sandpaper then applied satin black from supercheap. It might stick, it might not, but I'm happy with the results. If it does chip its not hard to reapply

Attachments

• IMG20210808123657.jpg
    IMG20210808123657.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 17
  • export1628427374472.jpg
    export1628427374472.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 17
I used a ozito sandblaster from bunnings, satin black from supercheap, if it chips it will take all of a few minutes to repair, cheap as and I'm happy with the result

Attachments

• export1628427374472.jpg
    export1628427374472.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG20210808123657.jpg
    IMG20210808123657.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
I've sprayed mine on the navara and my other cars.

It's not that hard and they do last.

- 600 grit sandpaper to scuff up all the clear, make sure you get into all the spots as good as you can
- I spray 2 coats of Etch Primer.
- I spray 3 to 4 coats of Flat Black or Gloss Black paint depending on the look you want.
- You can finish with a clear coat if you want, I never do, but it adds extra protection.

Buy some speech cards from officeworks and jam them between the tyre and the rim to create a guard from overspraying the tyres.

Do this process after you've scrubbed the wheels during a car wash to get rid of as much tyre shine and dirt from the wheels as possible.

Best part is, if it does chip - get the same spray can and touch it up.

Side note - I prefer using spray paints like 'roll bar and chassis spray' or like above the 'White Knight Engine enamel'.. they are harder wearing paints.

Avoid Rustoleum 2X like the plague, it is junk that doesn't stick, it stinks and takes days and days to dry.

Here's some of my work

20210112_130710.jpg

Attachments

• 20211018_144441.jpg
    20211018_144441.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back