Outside Temp Display

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony thats a good point about the ecu has the info..are we thinking the dash is pretty smart and just quires the ecu then displays its findings....I currently use torque but...big but...not often... on the dash would be amazing...be interested to see if aussies dash swap gets the display up......did often think about getting the scangauge but $100-200 for somthing to display a reading that i know isnt going to be good....is mabee a waste of cash for me.

I don't know if it's the dash or the ECU that's doing the actual work. But I do know now that my dash also shows this indicator so I think I will scour the manual and see what the instrument cluster uses to get the data.

The usual one. It shows the reading if you look at the combination meter drawing closely enough (page 7 of DI.PDF). I'm just tracking down all of the wires that lead up to it in the hope that one or more will be pertinent to this part of the display and missing from mine, so that I can add them and see what happens.

Maybe I could make it my next project, but have been thinking of making a similar unit to a scangauge but with more features , but find torque with a cheap phone works well but no EGT or dual battery display.

There's no EGT sensor on the older model cars. Newer ones seem to have it though. There are DPF pressure sensors in mine, but no way of getting to that data that I know of (it might be a custom PID in the OBD set but I haven't bothered tracking that down).

Page 17 (DI.PDF) seems to say that there is a "fuel consumption signal from the ECM" passed to the instrument panel (which they refer to as a "Combination Meter"). No indication yet as to where this signal is picked up, I'm still reading...

Can't seem to get any EGT readings from the obd port , waiting to get the latest manual from a mate, which hopefully will have more info on later BCM's
But first is to get some temp sensors out there :)

Just a thought but with the use of a simple switch we could have the option of switching from inside to outside temp and vice versa

Oh that's absolutely right, and it wouldn't need to be ANYTHING special because you just wire a second sensor somewhere in the cabin, let's say on top of the seat belt mount on the passenger side (away from the tunnel, away from the aircon but close to where you'd sense it). The sensor would already be at the temperature in that area so a switch should just flick it over to the new sensor and away you go.

You could add a multi-position switch and have a temp sensor in the tub too, especially handy if you have a dog in there.

I had no luck going through the instrument panel wiring looking for that consumption data feed, so now I'm trying to find something in the LAN-CAN system. It looks for all the world like it's a network-provided piece of info but none of the CAN data describes it, which is thoroughly annoying.

I wonder if activating it is as simple as pressing the accelerator 10 times while holding a can of Tooheys Old in the left hand while parked at the Kiama Blowhole at 8pm? Where's my farkin keys!?!

I recall someone somewhere saying that the two wires that go into the instrument cluster ("combination meter") for the ambient temp sensor are not there, so you have to wire it in from the start - but since it's the same meter, and it's the meter that provides all of the logic for this, then you should have no problem.

The output (wire heading TO the sensor) is on pin 49 of the cluster's main connector. The input is on pin 50. I don't think thermistors are polarised, so which way around the wires actually go probably won't matter at all.

Ok people,
All being well I should have the sensors ready to go within 2 weeks.
I want to keep testing a little longer.
the cost will be a $10 paypal donation to the forum via the paypal link, I think this is reasonable, feel free to donate more if you like.
also I will be keeping the details of the item secret until the first couple of batches are sold and the forum gets some help, let me know if you don't agree with it.

The forum provides a lot of help for free so I would like to try and give a little back.

Also like Old. Tony thinks they are not polarised so doesn't matter which way they connect.

Using a switch to switch between inside and outside may or may not work, my ute is a 2013 and found that the temp display goes through a self calibration process if the sensor is swapped altough this only happens occasionally.

Back