Oils

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
Now this might sound really stupid.
Since I've owned my old Nav, I've only used Castrol RX Super 15-40 engine oil.
Back in January I did an oil and filter change but tried Penrite 15-40
I only use mineral oil but for some reason, the engine is drinking the Penrite like it's a good drop of beer, I've never had that problem with the Castrol oil.
Anyone had this problem before ?
Cheers
Oldie

Sol, I've told you before, oils ain't oils son!

Howdy bloke, Ummm no, and I've used Penrite 10 - 40 I think it was, for 80000ks from 215000ks now she's over 300000 I've been using 15-50 And I've been getting a little more in the catch cans...

Are you sure your using 15-40? Not 15-50w!

I'm gunna have to go back to the Castrol oil. If there was a big leak somewhere I'd see it on my driveway but it ain't there.
As for the oil weight, the label on the Penrite def says 15W-40 mineral oil for diesel motors
Now the old gal is close to 475K but it's still going strong. sometimes a bit of white smoke on start up in the morning but no big clouds of black when I put my foot down.
Got me stuffed haha
Thanks for the replies guys. And if ya really interested, it hadn't had an oil and filter change since 15 August 2018. I did ask the mechanic about it back November but he said why bother since the oil was still clean. I only did the change coz it starting going black.

Ahhh sorry, my mistake, I use semi synthetic! That why they are slightly different... whooppssss!

Nice work on the mileage, have you done much to it over that time? Injectors timing chain etc..

I'm gunna have to go back to the Castrol oil.
Have always used the same Castrol 10 dubya/40 in mine. I wait till it's on special and stock up.

Now the old gal is close to 475K but it's still going strong.
Should be run in by now then lol.

And if ya really interested, it hadn't had an oil and filter change since 15 August 2018. I did ask the mechanic about it back November but he said why bother since the oil was still clean. I only did the change coz it starting going
I think a lot of us change the oil and filter every 5k kms which is probably way over servicing it. I do too, but usually spend a lot of time off road so halve the intervals. Now that everywhere I want to go is either closed from the bushfires, floods or covid might try 10k kms and filter at 20k kms as per schedule.

Had an old diesel once with about your miles on it and thought I'd do it a favour giving it a u bute motor flush. Got an awful lot of crap out of the motor, but then it started drinking about a litre of oil every 1k kms. Never do that again lol.

Have always used the same Castrol 10 dubya/40 in mine. I wait till it's on special and stock up.

Should be run in by now then lol.

I think a lot of us change the oil and filter every 5k kms which is probably way over servicing it. I do too, but usually spend a lot of time off road so halve the intervals. Now that everywhere I want to go is either closed from the bushfires, floods or covid might try 10k kms and filter at 20k kms as per schedule.

Had an old diesel once with about your miles on it and thought I'd do it a favour giving it a u bute motor flush. Got an awful lot of crap out of the motor, but then it started drinking about a litre of oil every 1k kms. Never do that again lol.
Should have tipped some Ajax into the intake! hahaha
(remedy for glazed bores)

Last edited:
Ahhh sorry, my mistake, I use semi synthetic! That why they are slightly different... whooppssss!

Nice work on the mileage, have you done much to it over that time? Injectors timing chain etc..

Apart from FFI winch version intercooler, she is stock standard as far as I know. I bought the old gal from an online auction back in 2014, it had 423,365kms back then.
I haven't messed with the motor one bit. The old girl runs well so I ain't messin around with it haha

Chances are with that many K's the carbon build up around the rings was aiding compression and less blow by. By giving it a really good flush it washed some of that away and hence the oil consumption after that.

Chances are with that many K's the carbon build up around the rings was aiding compression and less blow by. By giving it a really good flush it washed some of that away and hence the oil consumption after that.

Flush ?? I haven't done or had a flush done or are you saying the Penrite has additives that will clean out some of the carbon.

eventually i started doing my own service on a car using recommended grade in manual , i immediatley noticed oil consumption i attributed that to using different oil to what the dealer used

Hi All
Since the saga of the Penrite first raised it's ugly head, I wasn't going to change the filter again so I just filled her up with my usual Castrol oil. it took a good 5 and a half litres to show full on the dip stick. must have been some left in the pan.
Been keeping an eye on it and it hasn't lost a drop. Just checked it again 10 minutes ago and the dip stick is still showing full. Damned if I know but it seems my old girl does not like Penrite and it will remain a mystery as to where the oil went hahaha

I used to work for some major oil companies (Valvoline, Shell, Ampol, etc) and this saga would happen not often but sometimes where 2 of the same vehicles would run better on 2 different oils. I run my D40 on Penrite with no problems, not going to upset the apple cart - remember the gods are crazy.

Latest posts

Back