Oil Leak....

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I've notice a bit of oil around my Nav for a while now but I think the dripping has become more frequent. After long trips I use to get a drip or 2 when I shut her down. To put it into perspective, there are about 20 oil drip marks on my driveway from the last 2 years. What concerns me is how much is being lost on the road?

I have attached some pics. All pics are taken from underneath looking up. Now I'm a total mechanical noooob, so excuse my poor explanation of location. It is all on the drivers side of the gear box, but looks to be coming from fairly high. It makes its way down the side and drips from either the bottom of the sump, the front diff?, or the underbody brace that runs across the bottom. Very hard to see any oil from under the bonnet.

I've recently got a service and that may have increased the drips? The oil coming out is definitely black.

Finally, how concerned should I be, and what sort of work is involved from a mechanic locating and fixing these problems? To me it looks like a bugger of a job!!

Cheers,
Guido

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).jpg
    photo 1 (1).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,280
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 1,920
  • photo 2 (1).jpg
    photo 2 (1).jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,271
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 1,491
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 805
Last edited:
tighten all the bolts u can get to on the sump and anyother bolts around the oil covered area.
could be blowing around from the fan so may not be coming from the highest oil covered point...

just go over everything and check. check ur power steering hoses etc they are around that area...

Mate just fixed mine same issue, got told it was rear main so a mate helped me pull out the box and when we got the clutch and flywheel off we noticed the main seal was not the main caus but it was te sump seal so had to drop front diff and take off drag link to get sump off, we resealed it and also changed te clutch and rear main for peice of mind and also check the '0' ring on the dip stick housing caus it leaks from there to.

So just an update...

Had the rocker cover gasket replaced as my mechanic suggested. No good.

Had the injector seals replace. One problem solved.

What I thought was the only problem looks to be 2 different issues. There is still a leak in around the back of the sump somewhere, or possibly up higher? More $$$ to the mechanic I guess....Ho Hum

Guido

If its around the back of the sump it sounds like the rear main seal. First thing you should do is degrease it and hot wash everywhere there is oil. Clean it as much as you can and then look for the oil leak again. Maybe do it on a day that you don't have to go anywhere and you can leave the Nav running in the driveway for a couple of hours. You won't get oil blowing around the engine bay that way

Hey Guido I also have an oil leak on my nav and I know its definitely coming form the injector seals because there is a puddle of oil under each injector.. do you mind telling me how much it cost to get your seals replaced and who did it??

Hey Guido I also have an oil leak on my nav and I know its definitely coming form the injector seals because there is a puddle of oil under each injector.. do you mind telling me how much it cost to get your seals replaced and who did it??

Depends who does it....mine was 700ish @$110p/h, cylinder 4. Shop around if you have the time.

They need to take of the rocker apparently. Questionable.

Then they stuffed the rocker cover gasket and it leaked again. Fixed under warranty but that would have been $500+.

i was at a shop yesterday and they were saying if they could replace the seals without pulling the intake manifold off it should only cost me about $300 including parts but he had only done it on the ZD30 engine that was in a patrol
From my understanding on the navaras the intake manifold need to come off because its so tight in there?

Latest posts

Back