NSW Fires

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's just hope that they stop the Mount Vic and Lithgow fires combining in the Grose Valley, if that happens the mid mountains will be under a major threat

I'm a pom living in this great southern land for 3.5 years now and this is the first time I've seen the bush fires first hand as a real event not just something reported on the TV. We live on Lake Mac and the Rutley Road and Heatherbrea fires where sobbering and awesome in their scale and impact. Goodness knows what it is like to be over in the blue mountains; I can't imagine what it's like nor I'm sure would I want to be able to.

However two things that have amazed me:

The guts and dedication of the RFS; a bunch of honest to goodness people willing to step up, give their time and risk their safety for the protection of others. That is true community and something I doubt if ever witness back in the UK in such a way.

And secondly the spirit of those effected. Despite the best efforts of the new channels desperate to ask anybody and everybody "how they feel having just lost everything" and "do they feel anything should have been done by the authorities to stop it" and seeking out anybody who can be filmed crying and breaking down. However despite it all most people who I've seen on the TV being "interviewed" have responded with things along the lines of "yes, I've lost everything/most things etc but you just have to get on, do what you can and rebuild" and "no we won't be moving on and no we don't blame the authorities, this is just a risk you have to accept to live in the beauty that is the Australian bush"

I can only assume this is what is meant by "the Aussie spirit" and while Aussies can out whinge any pom when they set their mind to it, I have to admire your spirit when you lot set your mind to not whinging. It's incredible. Hats off etc

And it's that spirit that makes me want to become Australian when the time comes.

Nicely said mate, this spirit shows up in many people, in many countries at certain times, it just needs the right circumstances to come out.

I heard a RFS fire chief on radio today telling of his frustrations in getting a permit to do a back burn ,
He said the trouble is the National parks and wild life, He said he applied 18 months ago to do a burn in the area where there is no bush left,The national parks refused to issue a permit because there was a small creeks and they didn't want to chase the small animals away from the creek , Now he said there is no animals left as they all have been burnt alive in the fires , where if there had of been a back burn done they would of had an area to seek shelter?

40 odd trucks passed through our way last night on the way to the fires. All the way from SA. Thanks boys and girls!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 46
And more to the point -- If you're looking for someone to blame (and that's an ok thing to do), then blame the crunts that started the bastard fires. Over 90 fires in one day -- sus much?

Good point!

Perhaps more $$$ should be put into bigger, more resourced Arson Squads. Most of the fires are intentionally lit. Even stopping a few before they start could save huge money and lives.

Thoughts with you blokes and families in then line of danger down there. Good Luck!

I like how the greens have copped it but no mention of libs. I think you'll find (outside Murdoch press) that greens didn't directly blame Abbott. They linked fires to climate change, which Abbott has no belief or policy.

However there is no mention of the NSW Liberal gov closing over 10 fire stations which is less resources even if they had the chance to back burn.

They are all as bad as each other. The important thing is that you are yours are safe and kept that way.

We are having trouble at my VBFF brigade with fuel burns aswell due to the weather, there is heaps of fuel to be burnt but it is to wet with random showers.

Hence why 100+ firefighters campaigned in Miranda by-election. Biggest swing in Aussie history 27% away from liberals.

The Local Liberal MP and staff were taking down their names, taking photos of their faces without permission and threatening their jobs if they didn't stop.

Liberals are ****ing lower than scum.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382490871265.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382490871265.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 66
^ Its OK though - cause Tone is a volunteer with the RFS (he's always at teh photo op to prove it too).

Latest posts

Back