Noisy tappets / lifters ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys, i have a 2008 D22 41000km with the same problem on cold start up it sounded like the timing chain was trying to fly out the cover. It only does it on cold mornings, i called Nissan and told them what it is doing and even thought it is out of warranty they are replacing the chain tomorrow and are covering parts and labour.

Thats good news ......re nissan replacing the chain.......sounds like a RECALL is warranted by Nissan.

Awesome news about the belts.... I am flat out shocked that noise can come from a belt...wow! It must be a shit tensioner or stretched belt

Same here bud, when i sprayed that bit of water on the belts and the noise went away, couldn't tell you whether i was ,more surprised, or glad noise isnt internal. I'll have to see what it is exactly.

Hi Hodge as i commented on Robo70s thread mine was making that exact noise. Took it to Nissan thinking it was a lifter problem only to be told it was my belts. Apparently they do not like mud and dirt which mine has seen a bit of. Has recently started doing it again and Nissan did say my belts will prob need to be replaced which Im doing this weekend.... Glad its all sorted!!!!

Mine is pretty clean mate, that was the first thing i looked on the belt whether its cogged up with crap of some sort. But they're very clean.

Try putting boiling hot water over ur belts before u strat it in the morning mine made the same noise untill i put watter on my belts then it stoped

Pouring boiling water onto fan belts Is not such a good idea, a lot of materials expand and contract with different temperatures accordingly as everyone knows..........so what do you think happens to a rubber band when you pour hot water onto it? Yea it stretches and might stop the squeal although the true elasticity in the rubber is gone because of the sudden temperature change. Basically it will cause the rubber to premature cracking and deterioration!

Pouring boiling water onto fan belts Is not such a good idea, a lot of materials expand and contract with different temperatures accordingly as everyone knows..........so what do you think happens to a rubber band when you pour hot water onto it? Yea it stretches and might stop the squeal although the true elasticity in the rubber is gone because of the sudden temperature change. Basically it will cause the rubber to premature cracking and deterioration!

I've seen a diesel mechanic do that on one of our work trucks. Fixed the sqeals.
But as Pete said i'm not sure how good of an idea that is in long term.
But the thing is, mine doesn't sqeal, mine rattles somewhere. Maybe the belt, is sticking on one of the pulleys, every time it passes a certain section of belt, or one of the pulleys has a sticking point or a small bulge. I've now spent 5 mornings in a row trying to put a finger on it and cannot see anything wrong or any pulleys with a with even a bit of play. Once the car is warm, forget about diagnosing anything as the noise is all but gone.

Gday Hodge, mate i have an 09 d22 str 2.5cr and had exact same noise same thing pulling hair out as to what it was early morning videos also car had about 30000klms on it ended up being timing chain also and fixed under waranty nothing since nearly 40000klms now. all the best hope you sort it out.

Gday Hodge, mate i have an 09 d22 str 2.5cr and had exact same noise same thing pulling hair out as to what it was early morning videos also car had about 30000klms on it ended up being timing chain also and fixed under waranty nothing since nearly 40000klms now. all the best hope you sort it out.

Hey webby thanks for the heads up. Lucky enough, it doesn't seem to be anything but something to do with my serpentine belts. Yet to pin point what exactly though.

Get a block of good old fashioned Sunlight soap and let it rub against the serrated side of the belt while it's running, but F F S be careful of anything taking your fingers off !!
The old father in law showed me this, he's full of great old school car stuff and this does work, I do it myself now whenever a belt gets noisy and it lasts for a couple of months usually.

Latest posts

Back