New member to nissan

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmhnav

Reaction score
Hello gents. I have today ordered a new ST crew cab Auto in blue. I am very excited about it, trading my 2005 mazda bravo. The bravo has been no trouble at all over it 75k's. I have been a bit worried about some of the negative reviews I have now found on the D40? Broken timing gear etc. There is hardly any info or reviews on this new model. Can someone point me to where I might find some info on this new car. Any feed back from current owners would be great. Thanks Darren

Should have bought a D22.

Bravo's and Couriers are known to need a gearbox rebuild at 150,000km's.

My brother has a Courier, feels cheap to me.

Good luck with the D40.

Dave.

Welcome to the forums. I'm sure you'll be fine with the D40, if you go looking hard enough you'll find bad stories about every car ever made and while there are plenty of us D40 owners on this forum the number of us experiencing a wide range of problems is not really that high.

There is plenty of info on this forum regarding the D40's and the new models are a bit different but not that much different that all D40 info will be useless, there is even some new model D40 info amongst it all.

Hello gents. I have today ordered a new ST crew cab Auto in blue. I am very excited about it, trading my 2005 mazda bravo. The bravo has been no trouble at all over it 75k's. I have been a bit worried about some of the negative reviews I have now found on the D40? Broken timing gear etc. There is hardly any info or reviews on this new model. Can someone point me to where I might find some info on this new car. Any feed back from current owners would be great. Thanks Darren

Hi Darren :shakehands:

Welcome to the forum, I was the same when I first started looking seriously at the D40 (wanted one for awhile) I read a few bad stories and thought i would look else where and I did. I started looking at the SR5, you don't have to look to far to find the horror stories out there about them too. In the end I went back to what has been good to me which was Nissan.

Hope to have plenty of good stories to pass on here....

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and the Nissan Navara family.

I thought I had a fuel consumption issue with mine, seemed a little thirsty, but being new to diesels I didn't know that I only had to wait and the engine would loosen up, which it started doing after 13,000km. At nearly 25,000km now, my car's returning 11LPHK instead of the expected 12.2LPHK (based on weight). I'm happy with that.

There's a bit of turbo lag, which is annoying sometimes and if you push the revs up in the manual before releasing the clutch, you'll find that clutch is begging for replacement very early on, because the high torque once the turbo cuts in will eat the clutch in no time.

Might be a few more issues, but ya know, as Krafty pointed out, that could be the case with any car. Some are waiting for the VW Amarok (sp?) to see what it's going to be like, but I couldn't put myself back into a Volkswagen after having lived through a disastrous Kombi.

For the money, the Navara has the right capacity, features and feels nice on the road. We've had ours in forests, mountains and in the desert and it's performed flawlessly, even with the 1.8T caravan behind it. If I was making the decision about "which ute" again, I'd go the Navara again without any question.

Hey mate,

There's horror stories everywhere - every vehicle will have reports of failures. For what it's worth, I can only report on mine and that is 36 and half thousand kays of pretty much flawless work now.

My only complaint - a budgie under the dash I can't seem to find!

I have heard a couple of reports of timing chains on early D40's as well, but they seemed to be isolated and seemed to disappear after those early reports.

Good luck with your new vehicle and I wish you many years of trouble free, reliable motoring.

My only complaint - a budgie under the dash I can't seem to find!

So did the 08's come with the bird cage and the 09's the hair dryers or did your budgie move in after purchase as entertainment during the hair cuts?

I actually do have some complaints about my Nav that I didn't think of before my first post. The back passenger side seat rattles quietly on it's latch when there is no weight in the back seat, there is a loose screw floating around somewhere between the floor and the heater controls and the wipers don't work on accessories like my old car did.

While I wouldn't exactly call them horror stories and truth be known I probably caused 2 out of 3 it does show that nit picking the car is easy even with minor things, so anything major is always going to flow fairly well even if only suffered by a minority and regardless of who makes the car. Stay excited about the new purchase and take all press good and bad on board but don't be scared of anything in particular.

Nah Krafty, the budgie moved in a few months ago. Am thinking of taking a Silastic gun to a couple of small brackets under the RH side of the dash as I have a couple of suspects... Little buggers...

I can't say it was the hair cuts that did it - I have been staying away from the hairdressers due to concern over an increasing "solar panel" and "widows peak"....want to hang onto my curls as long as I can! ;)

Back seat rattle - mine did too. Fold it down and wrap a couple of short lengths of friction tape (AKA black electrical tape) around the latch - you know, the "dee" shaped part the seat latches too. Stopped my rattle in its tracks. I figured if I had to replace a bit of friction tape every couple of years, it was a cheap fix. Worked for me, might just work for you too mate.

Not taking the heavy handed approach and using the shot gun to hunt for the budgie or is that a D22 approach :sarcastic:

The tape idea is a good one and I'll eventually get around to that my problem and the reason it's been bugging me for a while now is that it's such a bugger to get to because to drop the seat I have to take out the car seat and I hate taking out that bloody thing. It's about 50mm too wide to lower the seat with it in place and about 50mm too big to lift up out of the way and lower the seat while someone holds it up, so the only option is complete removal.

I fight with it every now and again when I get the urge to clean the ute so I'll just have to remember that during the next clean up there is another job to do.

welcome mate, the forum and its members have realy helped me kit out my d40. i probably would have wasted heaps of dollars on the wrong stuff without it!

Hi Darren :shakehands:

Welcome to the forum, I was the same when I first started looking seriously at the D40 (wanted one for awhile) I read a few bad stories and thought i would look else where and I did. I started looking at the SR5, you don't have to look to far to find the horror stories out there about them too. In the end I went back to what has been good to me which was Nissan.

Hope to have plenty of good stories to pass on here....

i'm the same perko ..looked at a lux too but decided on the nav, ive only done almost 5k, but so far its been fantastic!

jk

Hey Darren I picked up a D40 a couple of months ago and while I reserve judgement on the ute till I've really got it sussed, I would report that this forum has been a terrific mine of info to sift through. Lots of threads about lots of thing. I've learnt a shit load in the past few weeks about the D40 from blokes that have done it and are doing it. Truely great resource.

pick it up

Well guys, thanks for your replys. I went and picked her up today. Saphire blue, crew cab, auto. a few extras from the parts book, the dealer, yarra valley nissan were great, they even came with me to the servo down the road and filled it up on my way home.
First drive home, 100 klometers to the mornington peninsula. "loved it" this thing drives fantastic, very smooth, quite, great stereo and fit out for a truck, very happy at the moment.
Rear breaks are making a scrapping sound though, presume it is the new pads bedding down, i'll give it a couple of days.

Happy Navman.

Latest posts

Back