new member saying g'day

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beechal

Reaction score
HI all just joined the group, have been looking on this site for awhile now.

i have a question i own a D40 Navara diesel (auto) and the DPF light is on and it is in limp mode.

anyone know how to get it out of limp mode ?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Nissan may have to do a forced burn on the DPF. It requires a CONSULT device issuing the commands to the car to do it, and takes about 4 hours.

You might get away by soft-resetting the ECU then taking the car out and letting it do a regen of its own. Here's how.

Get the PIN for your radio and if you use your trip meters for noting down km since last refuel, write down these values.

Remove the NEGATIVE lead (closest to the radiator) from the battery.

Step on the BRAKE pedal and count to 10 then release the pedal.

Replace the negative lead to the battery.

Your ECU should be reset. Now take the vehicle out and drive it gently and consistently at 1800rpm (or more) for about 15 minutes straight. A freeway is handy, but a long stretch of road at 60km/h in 3rd gear will do fine too.

If the DPF light returns and the car goes back into limp mode, you probably need Nissan to do the burn.

thanks for that, have tried doing that, and the light came back on.
The problem is that the ute wont do anymore then 25km/hr,

so it looks like i need to go back to nissan again. a long slow drive ahead of me to get there.

thanks

umm. What exactly is DPF Limp mode? I have a petrol D22 but was thinking I might switch to a diesel model one day. I don't like the sound of DPF Limp mode...

Some of the D40 automatics (2007 to early 2010, possibly some 2006 models) have a DPf in the exhaust - it's a Diesel Particulate Filter.

It's designed to trap the soot you normally see coming out of a diesel's exhaust and when the soot levels get a little higher (and under the right driving conditions), it conducts a "regeneration cycle" by squirting some diesel into the exhaust stroke of a cylinder. This extra fuel burns on the DPF quite hotly, thoroughly combusting the soot and allowing it to pass out the exhaust harmlessly.

Sometimes, most commonly through the ECU's inability to meet the conditions for the DPF regen cycle, the car will flash its DPF warning light. At this time, the manual instructs you to provide the conditions for a good regeneration cycle - cruising at 80km/h road speed, light load, engine temp in normal range.

If the ECU is still unable to conduct a regen it inhibits the vehicle in what we call "limp mode'. Maximum 2,000rpm. Slightly overfuelled (cooler combustion), probably retarding the timing of the injection pulse in each cylinder.

Once this stage is reached, it's generally terminal - back to Nissan, who clear the condition with their tool and initiate a "forced regeneration" which actually runs the engine for a fair length of time at quite a hard rate. At the end of this, the engine oil has to be replaced (I think maybe the filter as well).

If you were to buy an STX from mid-2010 onwards - the 140kW motors - you won't have a DPF.

G,day mate,

Welcome to the forum mate you are in good hands. Great bunch of blokes and gals.

Unfortunatly, don't bend over at Muster time! I have already had nine operations in nine weeks on my bowel.

PS, I might be fit for the next one!

Regards,

RLI
:cheers!:

Can I just add that DPFs aren't the big scary demons we sometimes read about?

I think it was Pete22 that had one, the light came on as he was doing a sandy or muddy track somewhere in central Australia. Solution? Hold the rpm above 1600 in a low gear and keep going. Regen complete, light goes out, trip continues. Lesson learned: it's not a vehicle speed thing, it's an engine speed thing.

It relies on an average driving pattern, one that most people would do. Hundreds of km of low-rpm operation will cause the light to come on. Not long enough at sustained rpm levels will do it too. But just get in and drive - no problem, it works away without even drawing attention to itself.

In 73,000km my DPF light hasn't come on once. I've towed my caravan through tight forest trails in the middle of the night, hauled it along the highway in the middle of Australia and dragged it up the Alpine Way (we stopped in at Lake Crackenback resort, that's massive) and it never once gave me any drama.

thanks for all the replies, great to be in contact with so many now hows. looks as if i have to drive my ute the 230km's to our nearest nissan dealer in charleville at 25kms/hr lol long slow drive . you never know it might just fix it self by the time i get there.

ha ha

Latest posts

Back