New D22 - slight engine whining

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Old.Tony. I've sort of narrowed down the (i think).. where the whinings coming form.
In regard to this fan... There is 2 fans. One all the way on the front (smaller one) and theres the engine one. The white one pictured here i took a photo of before.

This white one is not free-turning / smooth as you mentioned. I have to give it a bit of force to actually turn it by hand. But i cannot fling it into a free-spin. It's as if the brakes are on it. Somethings holding it back.
How normal is this ?? ? And how freely / easily should this be turning when turned by a hand etc?

The smaller fan on the front is much smoother to turn by hand. I'm assuming it's because it's electric.

its normal for the fan (larger white one) connected to the w/pump/engine to turn over by hand with resistance.
Its uses a viscous oil coupling...clutch fan.
if it free spins when the engine is cold, its time for a new one.

the smaller fan stuck on the radiator and is electric hence it will free spin.

probably your noise is belts or seals waiting to wear in a bit .
keep an ear to it though.

:cheers!:

Sorry, a bit late...missed one page.

Last edited by a moderator:
probably your noise is belts or seals waiting to wear in a bit .
keep an ear to it though.

:cheers!:

Sorry, a bit late...missed one page.

Thanks for the reply mate.
I really hope it's belts or something wearing in. And not something wearing OUT. What concerns me is i'm pretty positive i didn't hear that for the first week or so, of owning the car. I'll keep an ear out on it and see how it pans out and i'll push for the to have a good look at 1k service.

Nowhere near that area. But will keep an eye out on future local meet-ups. Thanks for the heads up.

I just spent a good half an hour running the engine and hanging over and under the vehicle trying to precise the noise.

When i'm under the vehicle it's definitely louder. And seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine or, towards the back/bottom of the engine.
It's difficult for me to explain exactly since i'm really not familiar with the parts and/or locations of parts of that engine. Apart from the clutch / transmission - what else could be down there thats a possibility?
Could it be something to do with the clutch? Depressing the clutch or changing gears or anything makes no difference to the noise.

try the flexible bellow in exhaust system after cat ???????:devil::devil:

my 2010 with 7 k sounds the same as your video
mate has a 2008 with 90k on it and it sounds the same too
i reckon its the normal turbo whine
enjoy your ride

My 2010 (6500k's) gets a constant whining noise. Turns out it comes from the passenger seat and stops when the missus gets out !

My 2010 (6500k's) gets a constant whining noise. Turns out it comes from the passenger seat and stops when the missus gets out !

I think you either have the wrong sort of muffler fitted to this passenger-seat accessory, or you have tried the wrong sort of injection system.

However, it is not the end of the world. Some often like cheese with their whine, so perhaps you might try applying that next time it bothers you.

At worst, with the main intake crammed full, the whine should be substantially reduced to little more than a whimper. And there's a stereo set that should be able to fix the rest.

Fox said:
Old.Tony said:
I think you either have the wrong sort of muffler fitted to this passenger-seat accessory, or you have tried the wrong sort of injection system.

However, it is not the end of the world. Some often like cheese with their whine, so perhaps you might try applying that next time it bothers you.

At worst, with the main intake crammed full, the whine should be substantially reduced to little more than a whimper. And there's a stereo set that should be able to fix the rest.
sparra04 said:
try the manual choke method

you bastards I almost wet myself laughing.:lol:

Hi Uniden just wondering if you or anyone else found out what the wining noise is, my d22 2010 does it to. Just curious.

I have a D22 that's done just over 25 thousand kms and I get a whine like you are describing. Only started noticing it this morning. Not sure if it's something faulty or not. Everything seems fine engine wise.

Hey Smithbro, did you find out what was making your engine whining? Ive got a 2012 d22 its been making that same noise for the last couple weeks. Just picked out it up from its 18 month service and the noise seems to have disappeared. Apparently the oil was a bit low and was probably the cause

Hey Smithbro, did you find out what was making your engine whining? Ive got a 2012 d22 its been making that same noise for the last couple weeks. Just picked out it up from its 18 month service and the noise seems to have disappeared. Apparently the oil was a bit low and was probably the cause

Still whining. Had a service since too. I think I'm used to it now, just one of those things that bugs the hell out of you when you first notice it.

Latest posts

Back