need help, DIY tub to tray swap, anyone done it?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04STR

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone could give me the heads up on the steps required to take off my tub and then fit a tray?

have just purchased a tray and was looking to do the swap over myself... cant be too hard can it?

any help would be appreciated

cheers

Besides the obvious - lifting your tub on and off - you'll need to modify the wiring harness, and work out an effective way to mount the fuel filler.

The tub weighs about 150kg, so you'll need a shop crane/helping hand.

Oh, and don't tell VicRoads about it. I've talked to them before about similar, they'll whinge and moan and start saying the words "engineer's report".

Spray all the bolts with some inox, then undo all 6 hold down bolts, undo the 3 screws under the fuel filler door and pull the filler free, undo all the wiring, remove the rear step (if you like). I cut the plugs off my old lights from the tub and fitted them to my new lights, the ones on the tray then just lift they tray on and move the rails around until they line up with your holes.

For the fuel filler i just got some 3mm ally plate and made a bracket up, i can get a pic if you like. And just secure your mudflaps in an appropriate spot, i tucked the front ones behind the side steps so they can only rub on the step and not the body.

The tub can be lifted by 2 people although 3 might make it easier. Pretty easy job took me about 4 hours and that was going slow and i had to make a hold down bracket for mine as it only came with one for the tray.

thanks mate, yeah if you could show me a pic of what the bracket looked like that would be helpful

cheers

The tub weighs about 150kg, so you'll need a shop crane/helping hand.

No wonder. Got my nextdoor neighbour to help me (with a canopy on) Took quite a few amber ale's to recover.

Spray all the bolts with some inox, then undo all 6 hold down bolts, undo the 3 screws under the fuel filler door and pull the filler free, undo all the wiring, remove the rear step (if you like).

I'd remove the whole fuel filter assembly from the tank (as its a biatch when it gets caught in the guard. I'd be removing the step as well.

Anything that can get caught will so remove as much as possible.

Also the required distance for small children is at least a block, as undoubtly some very colourful words may be released!

Back