My d22 from GO to WHoA

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the centre is always going to be in the way unless you fit bigger tyres or there is a gear system that bolts onto your hubs which give you a few maybe more inches of lift without fitting tyres. Ifs limits your travel but solid front end with coils not leafs is unlimited travel depending on shocks, i think iv just repeat myself there.

Called portal axles.

I never ever saw anything like that before.... not in a Navara anyway. It truly gives one something to aspire to - in respect to where I might like to get my forbee to one day. If you had all the bits and pieces and the cash to do it, what time frame do you reckon it would take? You must have put a lot of thought and planning into that. What a fantastic effort!

If you had everything ready and waiting and a hoist it would take probably a day, 2 max, that is if you had everything, most of it is bolt on, only welding required is the new plates on the diff to hold the radius arms.

offroad is all about diff clearance and keeping wheels on the ground. More articulation will give you more traction, but does nothing if your sitting in 2 wheel ruts and the mound inbetween is hitting your pumpkin. thats when you either back up and hit it harder and use the diff as a plow or go home and put bigger tyres on and cut guards. portals would be awesome but then youll want to reset up your suspension to keep the overall height down.

Im going to get in on this argument....

IFS sucks.... there.

everything these days (hilux, navaras, rodeo etc etc) are all IFS because its cheaper for the manufacturer to make. They dont give a crap about articulation or offroad capabilties... not like they used to anyways...like my GQ having swaybar diconnects standard and range rovers and patrols having switchable diff locks! they make there vehicles cheaply for the tradie. SAS has way way more potential, as has been previously stated, IFS gets jack all articulation. How many comp trucks do you see with IFS?? none. cause it sucks. thats why joshy and solid d22 go all out as they do :)

Portal axles are wicked bit of engineering, check out the next army truck that drives past you they all use them. but like joshy said you have to lower your suspension if you have a big lift, keep it to 2" or so. I think having portals with 35's is equal to having 44's as to the clearance of your pumpkin off the ground. big dollars though.

IFS does suck for off roading, but most people who are serious about 4wding would have opted for a car with solid axels and coil springs all round in the first place. When i bought my nav i had no clue to 4wding but after learning about it over the years, if i knew then what i know now i would have bought a patrol.

IFS sucks.... there.

everything these days (hilux, navaras, rodeo etc etc) are all IFS because its cheaper for the manufacturer to make. They dont give a crap about articulation or offroad capabilties... not like they used to anyways...

Slow down, you're shooting from the hip there. IFS is very complex, it's certainly not cheaper to make. Why do all those millions of little Suzukis have solid axles? Because solid axles are cheap. IFS gives better NVH and handling on road and handles high speed offroading better. I don't like this fact any more than you but only 0.005% (I made that up) of everyone who buys a Navara, Rodeo, Hilux actually takes it rockcrawling so pandering to a market that isn't there would be foolish. It's a commercial vehicle that just happens to have an added 4x4 feature to allow you to traverse worksites, go camping on the weekend etc.

It's not that they care less about off roading capability than they used to. The market just cares more about on road manners. The Navara has never ever had five link coils or a solid front axle in its whole history so there's no betrayal like there is with the Hilux.

A dual locked IFS vehicle with 2" lift and mud tyres aired down would be plenty capable for even the top 2% of the market. If you told Nissan you wanted the Navara to have a solid front axle they'd tell you you wanted to buy a Patrol cab chassis. The real marketing mistake is in not building a dual-cab cab chassis coily Patrol. If they made one of those in the 80s I know I'd have one of them and not a Navara.

ATT Admins......
To preserve Solid's build thread
Perhaps everything from post #90 could be relocated to a new thread "IFS vs SAS" or similar.
Sorry I started this ruckus here but the original purpose of the thread may be lost. Since Solid still hasn't done anything :happy_smile:in the way of further mods it seems pointless to see this discussion over run the thread when it does deserve it's own place.
It's good though that there is a daily reminder to Solid that his project is stalled and aside from piss and wind he has nothing to add to it:bootyshake::big_smile:

Pro-Nav, funny you should say that about a twin cab cab-chassis Patrol, cause I saw one today. It was a GQ conversion, but the first I've ever seen. Seen plenty of Cruisers done like this, in fact my brother in FNQ has one, but never seen a 'Trol.

Slow down, you're shooting from the hip there. IFS is very complex, it's certainly not cheaper to make. Why do all those millions of little Suzukis have solid axles? Because solid axles are cheap. IFS gives better NVH and handling on road and handles high speed offroading better. I don't like this fact any more than you but only 0.005% (I made that up) of everyone who buys a Navara, Rodeo, Hilux actually takes it rockcrawling so pandering to a market that isn't there would be foolish. It's a commercial vehicle that just happens to have an added 4x4 feature to allow you to traverse worksites, go camping on the weekend etc.

It's not that they care less about off roading capability than they used to. The market just cares more about on road manners. The Navara has never ever had five link coils or a solid front axle in its whole history so there's no betrayal like there is with the Hilux.

A dual locked IFS vehicle with 2" lift and mud tyres aired down would be plenty capable for even the top 2% of the market. If you told Nissan you wanted the Navara to have a solid front axle they'd tell you you wanted to buy a Patrol cab chassis. The real marketing mistake is in not building a dual-cab cab chassis coily Patrol. If they made one of those in the 80s I know I'd have one of them and not a Navara.

Not a navara, JUST, but datsun had the ute with a solid front end 4wd system.

dont think nissan/datsun have ever had a dual cab solid 4wd. And only the various patrols have had a live axle.

IFS is better offroad, just to get it to that stage where its better costs more $$$$$$$

oh yeah i agree that they are better handling, ofcourse, but we were talking offroad capabilties, going through rutts etc... and the potential for SAS is virtually limitless, please refer to joshys truck :) but ofcourse a manufacturer is going to cater for the main client base, otherwise they would go broke.....

pretty certain 720's if thats what youre thinking of, are IFS, patrols are the only ones... well except for the nissan titan, not delivered to Aus, are the only solid fronts.

Yeah we are hacking solids thread :) but hey it keeps us occupied until his next step! It would make a long winded endless debate, where SAS would win hands down, as far as offroaders are concerned to be politically correct!

and aido you started this :) just trying to help you see the light :)

My father in law has an old mate who was a concreter and he had this datsun ute im talking about, the one with 4 square headlights, i remember it being 4wd and being a solid front end. But now you guys have made me doubt myself so before i make an arse of myself il find out what was on the car for certain, if he has still got it.

sorry should have made my last remark more clear. IFS is better for hardcore offroad.

If you are talking unlimited $$$ and imagination then IFS is better for either. In any 4wd application how could front wheels acting independently of each other NOT be better? Solid front ends are better when compared to "off the factory floor" setups and are cheap when compared to some of the more extreme mods/build ups. Case in point: (I know it's extreme but it IS an IFS system in it's most brutal form)

YouTube - Chainlink extreme 4x4

Latest posts

Back