Movement/play around drive shaft

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nav22

Reaction score
After mucking around with the nav today, I couldn't help but notice my drive shaft and left cv joint has a fair bit of play/movement and almost like a clicking noise where they meet.
Obviously this has me questioning the condition of the front diff etc.
Does anyone have any experience with similar problems, suggestions and possible solutions with cost?

Its the 2010 dx model, so no lockers

Cheers

Last edited:
Which one you got, manual hubs or the soccer mum version lol?

If it's the soccer mum type and isn't making noises while driving, or doing anything strange, it's probably fine.

If it's got manual hubs (and even if it hasn't) a trip in low range 4wd up a steep incline with some corners should let you know if there's anything wrong. A small amount of play is normal afaik.

Which one you got, manual hubs or the soccer mum version lol?

If it's the soccer mum type and isn't making noises while driving, or doing anything strange, it's probably fine.

If it's got manual hubs (and even if it hasn't) a trip in low range 4wd up a steep incline with some corners should let you know if there's anything wrong. A small amount of play is normal afaik.

I haven't gotten around to putting in manual lockers yet. But I'll definitely give low range hill a go.

Its the 2010 dx model so it definitely doesn't have lockers. But I'll give the low range hill a go.

Its the 2010 dx model so it definitely doesn't have lockers. But I'll give the low range hill a go.
Make sure it's off road/ on dirt though. You don't want 4wd on a firm surface, can be very bad for the drive train. All I meant was are the hubs normally locked (and hence front axles spin all the time) or are they manual hubs.

The load on it going up such an incline and corners should bring out any noises such as clicking cv's.

i have used new cheap front cv assemblys about $135.00 each ..they last as long as originals . if the stub axle has any play,you will need bearings ,roller bearing seal . the stub axle bearing can be adjusted just leave some run out ;

Latest posts

Back