Lost Power.....

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanav

Reaction score
hey guys..

have a 2011 D40 stx auto with 20,000ks.

lost lots of power almost at the end of about a 3hr highway drive the other day. noticed it when i went up a hill with cruise on and it started slowing down, tried to put my foot down but had no power. no warning light, no bad noises or anything, still changed up/down gears fine but just had no power. i could cruise along at 120kph fine but would slow down going up decent hills. was almost like the turbo left for some reason lol

i pulled off the freeway at the next exit (about 25ks) and checked anything obvious but everything looked sweet. started her back up and ran perfectly normal.. any ideas??

also it was raining the whole trip, had a service about a week before, and i was not towing or loaded ;)

Welcome to the forum.

I'd initially suspect the turbocharger actuator (controls the vanes) or the gear associated with that. The electronically-controlled actuators have had a few problems and Nissan have been replacing them.

I'm not sure I'd look at the boost sensor or MAF sensor straight away, but if you've been through a really smoky or dusty area then the MAF might have some muck on it but with your model the actuators were a common problem so that's where I'd look first.

ok mate thanks. do you know is this something nissan are replacing for everyone, or only if it keeps happening?

Yeah generally it's been a warranty thing. I've not seen or heard of any complaints after the unit has been replaced.

Same for the SCV (Suction Control Valve) which has been responsible for similar problems on other D40s. It's part of the fuel pump and has been replaced as a warranty thing. You don't want to have to pay for a fuel pump yourself - they're $4,000 each.

Hi,

I had the same issue on and off with mine, 2011 manual 2.5 stx, tried a few things, found it to be a a blocked vent to the fuel tank, it would come and go as it liked, nissan had no answer (suprise suprise) after reading a few guys were driving around with the fuel filler cap loose, I looked for a vent.

There is a small nylon line about 8mm in dia from the top of the tank, near the filler neck which runs into the chassis rail, when I pulled this off its fitting, the tank sucked in air, so I cleared the vent, which I doubt was ever any good as the ute only had a few 1000k's on it at the time, that was 18000km ago, so far no more problems.

I would suggest that after a 3+ hour drive the vent if blocked or slightly blocked could not vent the tank to keep up with fuel use, try the loose fuel cap and see if it comes back, Nissan service are about as handy as AIDS and have no idea what they are doing, dont waste your time going to them, my ute will never see the inside of a Nissan dealership again. Neither will I.

The hose was clear, it was the "fitting" it pushed in to, Once I pulled it off and re fitted it it was all good. I was pretty brutal with it, just yanked it out and made sure it was clear, then re fitted.

Cheers mate, il keep that in mind but think its likely to be more something electrical/electronic cause as soon as i turned it off and started again it was sweet.

I had this happen in mine, drove from Canberra to Sydney, just on the cross city tunnel and it goes into limp. Pulled up when I could, turned off, checked oil etc. and nothing is wrong, turned it back on and everything was fine. Was pouring with rain too.

When I had the next service I asked em, and he said if the abs sensor gets water in it it can happen, and the vehicle doesn't throw an error code, just goes into limp mode. Off and on will usually fix it up.

ok mate will keep that one in mind too.. its going in next week anyway so will see what nissan comes up with :s lol

My 08 D40 lost grunt yesterday. It would rev fine, just real slow.
Had a look here and sure enough it's been covered.
Took the vaccum tube off the actuator solenoid and sucked it, the actuator worked fine.
I wasn't sure how to test the solenoid so I called the dealer this morning.
They said "We don't have any spots in our service schedule until next week but bring it up and we can do a test drive. Went up after 10:30am, after the dust settled from the morning rush.
Mechanic comes out, " Oh yes ok, I'll just check the vaccum line to the actuator", all good. Jumps in and off we go for a drive. Twenty metre's down the road he agree's "no boost."
Back to the workshop, he drops me at the door and say's, "It will be the solenoid, If we have one in stock I will fit it now.
Cool, I sit down to read about the new Torana in Wheels mag and just finish the article. The service manager comes over with my keys. No charge I have the extended warranty.
This is the Tweed Heads dealer, their service is ALLWAY'S excellent.

The truck SEEMS so much more responsive now. I'm not sure if it is my imagination.
The mechanic asked if it just lost boost all of a sudden or over a period, as if he thought it would have been gradual.
I thought it was sudden, and it was at the last certainly just NO boost at all. Although it may have been failing slightly for a while, I mean I don't think it ever went so good as it is now.
I don't know electronics. I'm not sure, is it possible, do solenoids slowly die?

Latest posts

Back