Limp Mode

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsgt

Reaction score
What do you guys know about Limp Mode on a Navara? I test drove one last night and it went into "Limp Mode" when I was driving it. Does anyone have any experience with this to help shed a light on this issue?

Was it a near new Demo one? Something quite wrong there mate. They will go into limp mode when they sense something is wrong to save the engine, I have heard (mainly on hilux's) that some aftermarket chips if turned up too high can make it happen, other than that it could be any number of things I guess, I'm not sure i would buy that one though!

If it went into limp mode, the Check Engine Light (picture of an engine) should have been lit on the dash and you should have been limited to about 2,000rpm or thereabouts.

If it was a D40 STX Dual Cab, the DPF might have been full and unable to conduct a regen cycle. I'm not very surprised, for a demo model, as most people seem to take demo models out of the yard, thrash them and return. The ECU gets no time to conduct a regen.

I'd guess this one probably tried and failed to do it itself enough so now the dealer has to force it.

In normal vehicle use, it's rare for it to happen, but can happen for more than just full DPFs too. Any fault which could result in damage to the motor could trigger the ECU into Limp Mode. It's a safety feature. You can reset it (pull the negative battery lead, turn on the ignition, count to 10, turn off the ignition, replace the negative battery lead). If it enters limp mode again, it goes back to the dealer for attention.

I'm happy that it does this rather than just stopping and quitting. If I'm somewhere west of Wilcannia and something goes wrong, at least I have the ability to drive into Broken Hill and get it checked, rather than wait among the snakes and roos for roadside assistance.

Mines only gone into limp mode once, and for no apparent reason. I Just switched off and it restarted fine, that was 30k ago.

I've added a chip recently, tuned it to max power with no problems.

Mines only gone into limp mode once, and for no apparent reason. I Just switched off and it restarted fine, that was 30k ago.

I've added a chip recently, tuned it to max power with no problems.

Yeah mine has never done it even with the chip on max, there was lots of talk on it on the hilux and triton forums though when I was deciding what to get.

Latest posts

Back