Lagging power on acceleration

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, not the first time we've had someone report issues with using oil-soaked filters. The MAFS uses a hot wire to perform its measurements, and oil is going to alter that - especially after the oil starts to carbonise on the wire, at which point even spray contact cleaning the MAFS will become impossible.

Only had the uni filter in for only one day. Gave the EGR system a reseal. Still the same. The guy at Auto pro still think that the blondeIt is a clogged Caty. Taking the navy to mechanic Friday. See they have to say about it.

Cleaning the MAFS is not a waste of time, but if the wire has been coated with oil which has burnt onto the wire inside, it will never read correctly again. It's a good reason to not use oil-impregnated filters, I guess.

Could it be the SCV? Fairly easy to tell if it's likely to be, try this test: take the car out for a drive and VERY gently accelerate on a flat road (where the speed limit is 100km/h or more). If you can get to 100km/h, that's great, part one of the test is complete. Slow the vehicle back to around 80km/h then fully depress the accelerator. If the car goes "limp", and turning the car off and on again fixes it, there's an excellent chance that it's your SCV.

I did post in your other thread, however I will also note it in here..

The symptoms you are having can also point to a worn timing chain that is in need of replacing.

Stalling when cold.. Hard to start.. No real power.. and in my case a P0340 (camshaft position sensor) code.. All these things went away when i had the timing chain replaced.. MANY MANY weeks of running around, getting opinions.. In the end it was the chain worn so much that the timing was well out..

Had a similar problem with mine after changing fuel filter to cheap aftermarket one.
Would start fine all day but first time would stall after standing all night, changed to nissan at nearly 3 times the price an no more problems!

carbonising Hot wire

Yes, not the first time we've had someone report issues with using oil-soaked filters. The MAFS uses a hot wire to perform its measurements, and oil is going to alter that - especially after the oil starts to carbonise on the wire, at which point even spray contact cleaning the MAFS will become impossible.

How long does that take to happen?

worn timing chain

I did post in your other thread, however I will also note it in here..

The symptoms you are having can also point to a worn timing chain that is in need of replacing.

Stalling when cold.. Hard to start.. No real power.. and in my case a P0340 (camshaft position sensor) code.. All these things went away when i had the timing chain replaced.. MANY MANY weeks of running around, getting opinions.. In the end it was the chain worn so much that the timing was well out..

Changed mine last year. When I did the head. I hope you plreplace both chains. At least you got an error code, in stead of it snapping on you.

Could it be the SCV? Fairly easy to tell if it's likely to be, try this test: take the car out for a drive and VERY gently accelerate on a flat road (where the speed limit is 100km/h or more). If you can get to 100km/h, that's great, part one of the test is complete. Slow the vehicle back to around 80km/h then fully depress the accelerator. If the car goes "limp", and turning the car off and on again fixes it, there's an excellent chance that it's your SCV.

Have a sqizz here...there is another thread on here too....somwhere

It can also be the relief valve on the fuel rail.. by turning the car off it allows the ball bearing to sit back into place when there is no fuel pressure so when you turn the car on its all good again until you release it again. So my suggestion would be is remove the hose at the back of the relief valve and attach something like a brake bleed bottle to it which is small and then get it to go into limp mode then check if you have fuel in the bottle if you do then you might want to shim the valve to an extra 3-4mm

How long does that take to happen?

Carbonising on the wire - no real idea there sorry. Oil has to land on the hot wire which burns the oil but residue will remain - soot etc. The wire cooks it and it solidifies, changing the properties of the wire thereby changing the response of the MAFS.

The SCV is the Suction Control Valve. It's part of the fuel pump and has proven to be a problem for a number of forum members.

Back