Kimberley Trip May 2014

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flynndog

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just after a quick bit of advice on a trip we have planned and what to see.

We are travelling up from Perth through Marble Bar, Shays Gap (abandoned) to Eighty Mile Beach. Then into Broome and on to Kimberly area for two weeks.

Return journey down to Karijini and across to Exmouth and home.

Total trip time will be 34 days.

If someone has some POI's that are worth seeing I would be grateful.

Cheers

Flynny

You lucky bastard. There's some dinosaur foot prints up there somewhere to see. If you're into birding then Birds Aus have a sanctuary near broome. Fitzroy crossing and nearby gorges are worth the drive.

Exmouth

On the way into Exmouth there is a road on the left named Charles Knife Canyon. Take a drive and it is just amazing, looks like a little hill till you get up there. Enjoy.

Up the Gibb river road there's Windjana Gorge camp ground and Tunnel Creek plus all the other water holes. Heres a pic of the Lennard river crossing. Theres some freshies but their harmless.

Attachments

• Lennard River Crossing.jpg
    Lennard River Crossing.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 140
Wish I could get 34 days off work to do a trip like this. Then there's the matter of talking the misses into it

Haha. I second that... That's why I told her I'm going to the cape and taking the old man, stuff taking her and listening to her whine and be a pain in the butt. Anyways the Kimberley is in the planning the year after.

Matt

My apologies if this appears twice, it seems to have disappeared on my first try.

While you are in Tom Price go to the visitor centre and do the Rio induction, this allows you to drive the Rio mine site road between Tom Price and the Millstream Chichester national Park. (If you start from Karratha their visitor centre also does the induction.)
It will cut a lot of time off and you get to see the mine site trains from up close. They are massive
It’s important to do the induction, it only takes about 20 minutes, if you do not do it you do not have insurance for your vehicle while on the Rio road.

I think Mount Nameless is also worth seeing, I drove past, the track looks steep, I was working and did not get the opportunity to drive up.
The view at the top should be great (I am going up next time I am there)

If you go through to Karratha follow the coast road on the north side of the town, it takes you to the boat ramp, its nothing special there but I thought it was worth a look while I was there. You can drive along the coast from here.

On the way out to the boat ramp you will see a sports ground, just past that on your left there is a motel and north of the motel there is a rise in the ground with a short red dirt road and a car park on top. Go up there for a fantastic view of the mangroves and the coast. It’s the best view in the area. It’s easy to drive past this spot because it looks like it goes nowhere and pretty plain from the bitumen.

Also go to Dampier, its a short trip out of Karratha.
See Red Dog. on the way back into Karratha turn left at the lights and go out on the Burrup Peninsula, go to the end and see the gas plant, its massive and there is a visitor centre there that you can stop off at.
There are a couple of 4wd tracks out there, they look tame from the road, I was in a 2wd sedan so I did not get to try them.

If you go to Port Hedland travel towards South Hedland and Dampier Salt is on your left.
To the left of Dampier salt is a dirt track, this goes down to what looks like the best fishing spot in Hedland. The coast was limestone with an open area amongst the mangroves. There were fish scales and filleted skeletons lying all around. (All big ones)
I was working there about 4 years ago and found it on my last day.

I am planning to take my wife through this area and Karijini in August or early September this year.
I have worked in Karratha and Port Hedland. I have also flown into Newman and driven through Karigini to Tom Price, then on to Karratha and up to Port Hedland before flying home.
The country is magnificent.

Take stacks of water.

Enjoy

Can anyone tell me how much water I should be looking at taking? Not sure on the availability of refill points etc.

I have 60L in the camper tank (washing up etc only but drinkable if required) and I am looking to take 40L of drinking water? Not enough? (Two adults, two youngins)

Also looking to take three jerry cans of diesel to give 120L total of fuel.

What do you guys think?

Starsky,

Thanks for the info mate, yeah I have worked up in Newman for 18 months and now in Hedland. We actually haven't gone in that direction; we plan to go to Exmouth, TP, Karijini then up BHP rail access track to the 154km (FMG/BHP crossings) and then across to Marble Bar. It was a tough decision but changes to my work roster ensured that!! Guess you can't see it all hey :( We pass back down through Newman on the way home though.

We need to be in Broome by 5 May as we have family coming in, so tied in there!

I must say I think the Pilbara is underrated as a destination and more people should make the effort to see it, before its all gone!

I should also state my dates have changed for departure; we leave Perth 24 April and arrive Broome on the 5 May

trip

When a you doing that mate? I am doing the gibb river in july and are also interested to hear about anyones experiences up there.

When a you doing that mate? I am doing the gibb river in july and are also interested to hear about anyones experiences up there.

Hi Masham,

Head off on Thursday via Exmouth through to Broome. We should be up there from May 11 onwards until about the 24-25 May.

I will post pics and reports once I get back.

d40 v6

we are doing the Tanami then Cape Leveque on to the Gibb river rd then Mitchell falls also be doing the bungle bungles in june and july Did this trip 10 years ago so it will be interesting to see if it has changed,we really had a great time and the gorges on the Gibb are magnificent

Hi all,

Well we survived the journey, just. Had a window smash on my canopy out of Exmouth and a leaking seal on the gearbox on arrival into Broome. Cost us an extra week and then the wrong part arrived!! So we made the decision to keep going, topping up the gearbox as we went. That never became an issue as it didn't leak again!! Talk about frustrating.

The Gibb was awesome, what we could visit on a compressed time frame. We stayed at Windjana, Manning and El Questro.
Windjana is very well equipped with drinking water and showers/flushing toilets. First in best dressed and no marked camping, just a big area to setup; you are up to the commonsense of backpackers and the rest as to how they use the area to setup if you don't get in early.
Windjana is the base for visiting Tunnell Creek as well.
Manning River just off Mt Barnett Roadhouse is really good for young kids. It has the river with sandy banks etc. The falls are well worth the walk, but I reckon you need to the whole day there as we did. Our 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old walked the whole way (5km return).
El Questro didn't excite me as much. Very touristy, but also plenty to do. We missed out on seeing alot as the mrs and my eldest came down with viruses and we spent two days driving to Kununarra and back. They will sting you for the day you leave as well ($20pp/day). So if your staying two nights, expect to pay $120 (unpowered site)

Fuel was about $1.94 in Kununaraa, $2.50 at Barnett and $2.36 at Imintji Roadhouse.
There is no designated drinking water outside of the national parks and El Questro on our stops. We had 20L of drinking water and that was ok for three days at Manning River.

My fuel usage was 15L/100km for the most part. My best was 13.8 out Perth the first day and the worst 17.8 into a headwind near Exmouth.

Back