Key Lost, Need Help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tappet

Reaction score
Today I lost one of my Ignition Keys. No problem I thought I'll pop in back home and grab the spare. The spare key is a replacement for the other original my wife lost a couple of years ago. Although it was cut to open the door lock it was only coded to to start the engine. The transponder part for the central locking wont work the locksmith informed me. When I tested it a couple of years ago it did. Gets worse tho as now it wont start the car, dash lights go on but nothing.

1/. Do they need the truck as well as the key to encode at the Nissan dealer?

2/. Can I get a second Key encoded down the track or best to bite the bullet buy the another key and get them to do both at the same time?

This key caper is turning into a very expensive exercise. :pissedoff:

Last edited:
Can I suggest that if it used to work and now doesn't, perhaps something else might be wrong? Could your starter battery have failed, just at this inopportune moment, daring you to spend cash getting the key resolved only to leave you where you are now and $400 poorer and needing to spend more on a battery?

As far as I know, the car is needed for the key registration because the Consult device is used to instruct the BCM to accept the key. That said, there is probably a routine for doing it that doesn't require the Consult device, but it'll still need the car (example, turn on ignition, press accelerator, bark like a dog, press horn, turn key off = encoded).

Just had some keys cut and coded to suit the Navara, definitely will need the car and keys in 1 place, it's gonna be expensive, 2 key blanks, and 2 remotes were about $700 from Nissan dealer, then $360 at locksmith to get the work done. That was just this week, good news is I now have 3 functioning sets, and insurance co is going to reimburse me less excess..

If the spare key use to work but you haven't used it for ages you might have to leave it in the ignition for a while to charge to get it to work. Don't remember where i heard this.

Ok, thanks Tony, Rich64. Truck was at work and when I lost them and still in a secure place till I can get it moved to the Dealer on Monday. Been lots of places in the work vehicle so could of dropped them anywhere along the line. Retraced every step but nuthin!! Really pissed of with myself.
Can't remember the transponder Key being so expensive when the wife lost her Key. About $150 I think. If I remember the Nissan dealer price was no more than the internet but only for the Thai version. Spanish version your could get way cheaper online. Only have to buy one Transponder/Key blank. Would imagine that it has to be cut before they can do the job. Whole bloody thing is a logistical nightmare. Grrrr.

Still a blood mystery why the spare key wont start the car now but Battery is all good when thru all that today even had a fully charged N200 in parallel across it and still nothing.

And thanks Rumpig I'll give that a go tomorrow anything is worth a try at this stage.

Last edited:
If the spare key use to work but you haven't used it for ages you might have to leave it in the ignition for a while to charge to get it to work. Don't remember where i heard this.

they don't charge from the ignition, like commodore keys and others did, I assume they have a battery , don't know if it's replaceable.

Tappett, probably could have sourced cheaper aftermarket alternatives, but insurance co wouldn't hear of it.

The locksmith had to partially disassemble the steering column to read a code sticker, and use that code in the reprogramming process, I still had 1 functioning key/remote, but don't know if that was important or not..

Talking to a bloke this morning, he seems to think that the no longer functioning spare may have never worked as when I tested it a couple years ago if I had the good original key in my pocket which I'm fairly sure I did is that it saw that key present so the truck started.

Interesting theory does it have to be in the ignition lock? Even if it doesn't it's a little academic at this stage still have couple of tonnes of scrap metal on my hands without a functioning key.

I sourced a blank transponder key from Ebay for about $70 -$80, got the locksmith to cut it - about $15 - and took it to Nissan to code it for about $70. I think I need the vehicle VIN number. Work like a charm and much cheaper than getting the lot done from the Dealer.

Finally sorted!

Rule #1 don't ever loose your keys- Ever!

Rule #2 if you do don't ever try to start it with a Key that is not properly coded. If you do the ECM locks the system so even with the with the correct coded key it wont start.

I was thinking what to do with my spare key the other day. I was thinking it's not much good if it's at home in Vic and I'm in Nth QLD.

I think I may find a nice secure high, dry location and secure it on the vehicle somewhere.

No tow truck. I'll do what ever it takes to avoid the local dealer. Locksmith came to the car brought a new genuine key, $130. Can get the Spanish version way cheaper on-line but not the Thai ones.

Coding was not the problem but bit of an issue trying to unlock the ECM because of attempting starting with a dud key. Turned out ok tho. Only charged $100. Not to bad considering he came to the truck twice.

So is there a difference between Spain & Thai keys as well??? Or is a key a key??

Not 100% sure but I do know they have different part numbers. I did spot one online listing that said for key they were flogging, Spanish version only. So probably different but why would you be surprised :)

Spare Key

I had a spare key cut just to unlock the door.

I use a hide a key to attach it somewhere on the chassis.

I have my spare original key under the cup holder, just pull the holder out and put the spare key there.

Latest posts

Back