I've been happy with my D40 until I drove an Amarok

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich64

Reaction score
I was given a ride/ drive in a 3 month old VW Amarok the other day, and it really has made me look at the Navara D40 in a whole new light, the Amarok seems better in every aspect streets ahead in some . Anyone else had a drive/ serious look at the VW?

Yeah I have and I do like it, but the cost!!!
How did you find the the take-up of the clutch, and the feel of the brakes.
To me it definately has that Euro feel. It is a better truck but it should be to.

It's a beautiful rig, but it's also useless. Good luck trying to pull anything with an engine smaller than my 3l water bottle.

I reckon they feel to plastic and cheap inside...and that's coming from a D40 owner! I also don't like their price or engine, but other than that they make a great ute, prices appear to be dropping too.

The size of the engine is off putting but it is better low down and I thought the Nissan donk was highly stressed.
The VW must be the diesel equivilent of and F1 engine:)

i tossed up for 12 months getting a wolf and a d40. What really guided me to the d40 was the aftermarket products that are available and the price but ill get one in about 3 years time once there is more products available.

VW Wolf benefits are rear locker from factory, fuel efficiency, cabin space, bad side- twin turbo if one goes they both go... joys of a turbo compound units. Lack of aftermarket products.

D40 price, aftermarket products, history and availability on parts, bad side- resale, clutch history and less electronics/ ECU's to fail so when on a outback trip any mechanic can work on it.

heard storys the vw 2.tdi has a shaft about size/shape pencil driving oil pump that over tiome wears smooth stopping your oil pump seizing motor,delicate injectors self destructing into cylinder aswell

Take the new ranger for a drive after the VW. I found the ranger had the edge all over the VW.

Last edited:
Personaly I hate the new rangers. We have several at work and when ever it rains the foot wells get soaked with water. The Workshop guys always have them in to fix leaks. The auto gearbox it crap as well. you pretty much have to punch the gear stick to get it into reverse.
Out of the 3 I have driven they have all had the same problems. Ohh and the fuel economy sucks, the turbo comes on around 2400rpm.

I drive a Holden Colorado with a manual gearbox at work and it is great, Good on fuel, the turbo comes on early, 1600ish rpm and the fuel economy is good. That would be my next choice for a new ute if not the Navara (D22 of course)

i drove the amarok months ago,and its full of gadgets for the nerd minded,which i dont want or need and my 05 str will blow it away in performance so why would i want one?
nissan for me.

interesting points of view, I'm not looking to replace the Nav just yet, but I was impressed with the VW, I need a touring/towing rig not a pure 4x4, the new prices have tumbled and they are now a genuine alternative, it'll be interesting to monitor them, for a year or 2 I too was a little concerned about the engine size, and there is an 8speed auto coming this year..

interesting points of view,QUOTE]

Yes very much so Rich. All Personal preference/bias stuff
After driving one I would find it difficult to believe that anyone would think that the D22 would out drag it.
I drove the base 4WD I did not think it was particularly full of gadgets apart from saftey side of things.
I still think it's a better vehicle but at 10 grand more over an equivilant D40 so it should be.
There is nothing wrong with the sequential turbo charging. Many manufactures have been doing it for years and if you actually drive an Amorok you find it's all go right from idle.
I'm delighted with my D40 I'm just try to be objective about it all.

Last edited:
i dont think my D22 would outdrag it i KNOW it would.
read my earlier thread,my mate has one i drove it a few times so i know what its capable of.

We drove an Amarok before we got our 550 - nice ute but underpowered - i ve had D4D Hilux at the time and salesman tried to tell me that Amarok kills Hilux in performance - certainly didn't feel that way .

We wanted auto transmission this time around and bit of grunt - Amarok does not come in auto yet and lacks in power but otherwise feels like a quality vehicle.
Even a 5cyl 2.5 TDI would probably fix the power issue and torque converter (not DSG) is arriving later in the year along with power upgrade to a 2L biturbo.

Latest posts

Back